Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Saturday, August 30, 2008

I love Vista!!!! I just installed it and Revit is faster.

I never thought I'd say this, but I absolutely love Vista.
My computer specs are:
I have a Dell Precision M90
Intel Core 2 2GHz (Single Processor 2 Core)
4GB RAM,
250GB HD Nvidia
Quadro FX 2500M

I have to be honest about all this. I started with DOS in 1983 and have been happy with XP for years. I've been badmouthing Vista just like everyone else out of ignorance and had never even tried it before today. Resource hog, slows the computer, just another pretty interface (yeah, all the same things AutoCAD users say about Revit). Well, I was wrong. The installation was so easy and painless. I stuck in the new hard drive, popped in the Vista disc and 30 minutes later, I was up and running. Futhermore, it took me about 5 minutes to find my way around Vista and be comfortable with the changes. Seems like going from AutoCAD to Revit is like going from DOS to Vista. Sorry, I just have a thing aganst any program with a command line in it. That's just so 80s!

I hadn't reinstalled XP since I got my laptop in 12/06 and my computer seemed to take forever to do anything. Revit Architecture went from a minute to start up to 15 seconds. Having a 64 bit OS really seems to make a difference. Everything opens instantly and now that I found an XM Radio widget for my desktop, I'm one click away from satellite radio.

Well, I'm off to transfer 150GB of data and music to my new and improved computer.
Now, if only Revit 64bit would get here already!!!!

One last note. If you're getting a new machine, get Vista. If you're upgrading an older computer, make sure you have Vista drivers available for it before you upgrade. I think that's the sticking point for most people.

Please review these two posts for additional information on picking a computer and how to get a Dell cheaper!!!!

1 comments:

Dustin September 2, 2008 at 7:19 AM  

I have to disagree with you about the command line being 80's.

I think it is making a come back in Vista with the feature that allows you to search for the program you want from the start menu. Yeah it's not really the "command prompt", but it is a cool feature that reminds me of using AutoCAD commands.

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]