Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I almost invented a new word today - Errorgance

I was talking with a mechanical engineer today who used to be in the architectural field. He left 2 years ago and now designs phosphate piping systems. We were having a discussion about Inventor, Solidworks and Solid Edge, which program is currently the best and where he could get training.

I was telling him that one of my best Revit instructors used to teach Inventor and Solidworks, but I yanked him away and threw him into the world of parametric modeling for architecture. We discussed how Revit got its start. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but apparently one of the people at ProE was having a very expensive home built and it was taking forever and there were a lot of mistakes on the plans. So, he asked the architect what software he was using and went to visit the architect to see. He couldn't believe how archaic the 2D CAD system was compared to what ProE did for mechanical engineering. That gave him the idea to start Revit, the first parametric modeling software for architecture.

Further on in the conversation, the gentelman I was speaking to mentioned how arrogant the last architect he worked with was. I was thinking about errors and blurted out. "Ha. I've invented a new word, 'Errorgance'. Someone who makes mistakes but won't admit it. Being a general contractor, I knew exactly what profession comes to mind, but I won't mention it here.

Unfortunately, even though in my own world, that's one of the best words I've invented, Mr. Google says others have used it before. Fortunately, google only has 1,190 search results, so I guess with this post, I'm officially 1,191. Yipee. Here are some other definitions I found out in the ether.

errorgance (er´ur guns), n. a feeling of smug superiority over those who do not share one's own erroneous or misguided convictions: The president's errorgance alienated most of the Western world.

Errorgance Mistaken presumptions of superiority.

Why did I even bring up Revit to a mechanical engineer who was looking for Inventor training? I'll post that answer tomorrow.

2 comments:

Steve December 10, 2008 at 2:17 AM  

It is amazing how many permutations of the story that describe Revit's inspired genesis, and how many of them I've heard now.

Suffice it to say that it is true that the two founders of Revit once worked for Parametric Technology Corporation (Pro/E).

One of them did build a house some years prior to starting Revit and that it served in some fashion to help define what Revit ought to be able to achieve.

Revit Technology Corporation (recognize a naming similarity?) marketing did somewhat embellish the story to make Revit compelling and a good fun story to tell.

I have this on pretty good authority, straight from one of those two who did build a house *-).

Anonymous,  December 15, 2008 at 11:42 AM  

We experimented with Revit technology on SGI systems in the early / mid 1990's while looking for an AutoCAD alternative for Unix. Back then it was a called Reflex.

I believe that PTC purchased the software, branded it as Pro/Reflex, and started a push to port the product to NT. They essentially did nothing with it as a PTC product (IMO).

Soon after it disappeared from PTC's portfolio, Revit was on the market. Fortunately, somebody saw the technology for what it was and here we are today!

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]