Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Thursday, January 22, 2009

I can't believe an architect said that....

I was talking to one of my General Contractor BIM clients today. First of all, I love saying that GC & BIM in the same sentence. Finally!

They've purchased Revit Architecture, Revit MEP and Navisworks Simulate. They had a Design/Build presentation last week against 4 other teams. My client took the AutoCAD drawings and created a Revit model of the building. They exported it to Navisworks and created an animation of the schedule and cost of the building as it was being built. Everyone was blown away with their presentation.

Want to know who was the most in awe? The architect who designed the building....
and I quote..."Wow, I was amazed to see the building in 3D. I had no idea it would look like that".


I ask you, how can you design a building in 2D in AutoCAD and have no idea what the completed building will look like? All in all, another successful client for my company. There's buy-in at every level of the construction company and they've asked me to help them get to the next level of Revit and BIM. Looks like our MEP modeling services are about to go into high gear.

They're also exploring LEED so IES is on the way! Every single contractor I've talked to and converted to BIM is 100% committed to BIM as the only way to their future success.
If you haven't already, please read the McGraw Hill report here.

5 comments:

Two Dogs January 22, 2009 at 11:02 PM  

The advantages that I have seen starting with the old Microstation or Form Z stuff has always been impressive. To not use some sort of 3D stuff (even if it is just colored pencil rendering) is malpractice as far as I am concerned. The architect had no idea what it would look like? Uh, does he not see the potential (read "humongous, glaring") problems in that?

And if I don't quit spending all day reading your blog posts, I am never going to find the time to actually get moving in Revit. I'll just keep plinking along running AutoCad 2008. Who wants that? As a matter of fact, I am about six months behind in my studies on Revit already, but I cannot learn when I am as busy as I am. It seems as if I am getting ALL of the work right now.

David January 22, 2009 at 11:59 PM  

I'd love to see some examples of those animations about the schedule and cost. Seen any?

Two Dogs January 23, 2009 at 12:33 AM  

Man, I am in Mississippi, our CDs are generally prepared with a carpenter's pencil on the back side of a piece of sheet rock. Revit is just now starting to be accepted in our area and BIM is unheard of in architecture. The Mech Engs are trying some of those modeling programs out, though.

Architectural Desktop was the big thing here up until about 2004, but no one used it to its full potential. And I certainly never had the chance to even break into it at all.

I purchased Revit about seven months ago and have so far just gone through the first four tutorials. At some point the immediate fires are going to be extinguished and then I shall use it in earnest.

The very first thing that I noticed was the huge file size though. That needs help big time.

stimuli January 23, 2009 at 12:43 AM  

Have they checked out VICO?

Jaysyn,  January 23, 2009 at 3:31 PM  

Yes I am interested in seeing those animations/presentation. OUr firm is just beginning to look at new and extraordinary ways to use our BIM models and Have started to look at Navisworks. In fact we have a trial in house now we just havent looked at it yet. jmqrsq@yahoo.com if you have any links. I appreciate your time

Jaysyn

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]