Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Follow up on the Sad but true story

In a recent post of Sad but true story of a 2D architecture firm, it's taken an interesting turn. Turns out one of the founding partners of the firm sat in my AIA CEU class on Integrated Project Delivery. I asked him some questions during my presentation and I asked him to call me the next morning which he did. He said "I'd like to know of any bottlenecks that exist in my company."

He was very open to the lecture and I told him everything that had transpired with his IT manager.

I'm going to segue for a moment because this has happened to me before.
1. I meet with IT or CAD manager at a firm.
2. I discuss Revit and BIM with them, discuss options, training, the future, etc.
3. IT/CAD Manager takes the Revit trial and literature and puts them in the bottom drawer.
4. IT/CAD Manager never mentions our conversation, anything about Revit to any member of the company or to the principals or other decision makers.
5. One of the following occurs. I meet a principal of the firm at an AIA event or through a colleague, the principal attends an event or lecture discussing Revit, BIM or IPD, another principal of a firm moves to Revit, tells the principal about it or the principal, not living in a bubble, reads one of the hundreds of articles all over the internet and design magazines about Revit.
6. Principal asks IT/CAD Manager what is the firm's status with Revit.

I had one experience where one of our structural engineering client's principal was taking an architectural principal and told them they had to move to Revit and to call me for the training.
Well, in my Sad story outcome, I was able to have a very lengthy conversation with the principal and explain to him everything about Revit, BIM, IPD and his IT manager's clear decision to not discuss BIM with any senior management.

Now, I didn't expect to have the principal in my class. I didn't expect to have this conversation with him. I tell you this story because you can't hide Revit anymore from everyone in the firm.
It's in the mainstream now. It has the potential to have the IT/CAD manager look like they weren't doing their job and that has it's repercussions. IT = Information Technology. Information. Technology. Staying on top of appropriate software needs for a firm. Research. Change. Adoption of something better. Talk to the firm. Discuss the pros and cons of a transition to Revit. Let everyone in the company be part of the decision. It's a lot of responsibility to make that kind of decision, whether it be for or against the change.

To ignore it in 2009 can be very detrimental to one's career. Not just in job security, but like in my previous story, to the entire well being and existance of the firm. A lot of good it would do the IT manager if the entire compnany folded. I'm sayin this partly to scare you and partly to help the naysayers to face the reality that BIM and IPD are barreling down the IT highway and you can't avoid them. Act wisely for yourself, for your company and for the future of the AEC industry. They bytes you save may be your own.

I'll continue this story as I get more information. For the moment, a majority of all new projects must be started in Revit. I don't know how the IT manager is going to manage them. They'll be finding out very soon he's not BIM saavy and hasn't grown with the firm's future needs. I spend at least an hour a day doing research and learning as much as I can about the industry and technology. I don't know how I'd have a choice otherwise and be able to be a partner and mentor to my customers and my blog readers. For you 2D skeptics, decision day has arrived and it's time to fight the instinct to avoid change. Try it, you'll like it.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]