Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Integrated Project Delivery - My first lecture

Yesterday I had the honor of giving a presentation on IPD for the Construction Specifications Institute Palm Beach Chapter. It was a 2 hour interactive conversation/lecture on BIM & IPD and the future of the AEC industry and a huge success. It's an amazing conversation to have even though it's a difficult one. The reality is that it's the 'Human Factor' that's going to affect adoption, acceptance and embracement of this new future. BIM & IPD have been proven to be effective and work in the real world. It's not a question of IF, it's only a question of WHEN.

All of my attendees got 2 AIA CEU HSW Sustainability credits. Did you know that 4 Sustainability credits are now required from the AIA? I'm in the process of becoming an AIA CEU provider so I can continue to give this lecture and help educate the community. I know how difficult it is to get the coveted HSW Sustainability credits and I don't mention modified bitumen once during the 2 hours so you'll be sure to stay awake.

I'm very lucky that I have a personal mentor on IPD. His name is Phil Bernstein, the Yale Professor and BIM/IPD Guru at Autodesk. Thanks to Phil's guidance, I can now intelligently discuss workflow, process, integration and contractural obligations and not mention the word Revit.

Any company in Florida who would like me to give this presentation to your firm and you get the CEUs, just let me know. All I ask in return is that you make CADD Centers your reseller. Fair trade I think. Also, the Revit Essentials class gives you 20 CEU credits as well.

From the AIA's IPD Guide

Integrated Project Delivery encourages early contribution of knowledge and experience and requires proactive involvement of key participants. Responsibility is placed on the most able person with decisions being made on a “best for project” basis. Although it is possible to achieve Integrated Project Delivery without Building Information Modeling, it is the opinion and recommendation of this study that Building Information Modeling is essential to efficiently achieve the collaboration required for Integrated Project Delivery.

IPD Definition – AIA California Council 6/2007

0 comments:

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]