Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Autodesk announces retirement of AutoCAD Architecture

Autodesk just announced that they will no longer provide new seats or upgrades to AutoCAD Architecture. Since the Revit Architecture Suite 2010 includes AutoCAD, AutoCAD Architecture and Revit Architecture, the decision was made to not continue providing AutoCAD Architecture as a standalone product. All AutoCAD Architecture users have until 3/15/10 to crossgrade to Revit Architecture Suite for a special promotional price to be released on May 1st. My undisclosed sources at Autodesk have told me it will be $595 for the crossgrade, but I can't confirm it.

In line with the prior decision to stop product upgrades of Mechanical Desktop which is now included for free with Inventor and Land Desktop which is now included for free with Civil 3D, and with the current trending of the architectural industry towards BIM and 3D modeling, AutoCAD Architecture (Architectural Desktop) is being retired with the 2010 release which started shipping last week.

In light of this change, Autodesk is also providing special pricing for new seats of AutoCAD Revit Architecture Suite with $1000 off the $5995 retail price to match the $4995 price of AutoCAD Architecture. An AEC division executive at Autodesk was quoted saying, "The recession is going to end eventually, we might as well make the architects finally move from 2D to 3D while they have plenty of free time with reduced pipelines. Of course all of this is my fantasy and April Fool's joke, but it sure would be nice to think this will become a reality. I hope you enjoyed reading this post as I enjoyed writing it. I'm a mean blogger, but a happy drunk. Here is my 2007 and 2008 April 1st fun posts. David Kingham, I got you last year, did I get you again? Anyone at Autodesk reading this....please....end the 2.5D madness.

4 comments:

Anonymous,  April 1, 2009 at 4:21 AM  

1st april fool, but it would be great..

David Kingham April 1, 2009 at 10:04 AM  

Damn you and your April fools jokes lol, you made it sound so convincing and it didn't shock me after the new subscription BS. Maybe next year I'll remember it's stinkin April 1st, nice work sir.

The Revit Kid April 1, 2009 at 3:49 PM  

Haha... I wasn't expecting to get you on my post! I forgot what yours was last year... got me again.

Mark April 2, 2009 at 4:06 PM  

Well done... you had me all the way until the end... ( I imagine my dissapointment is a common reaction)

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]