Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Revit 2010 Interface Opinion and some info

I don't know about you, but I love the new Revit and the Ribbon. Makes me feel like a kid again. I know it's scary, but my 14 month old son loves playing on the computer. Anyone want to place a bet on when he makes his first Revit model?

On a side note, I've been reading a lot of comments on AUGI about the new interface. A lot of people are complaining about why did Autodesk spend all this time on the ribbon when the could have been adding tools, making stairs and rails easier and any number of other enhancements.

Well, I think I've found the answer, and I'm not sure why it wasn't made clearer to the Revit users. Apparently, Autodesk has been saying for the past 3 years that they're doing a total rewrite of the software. Everyone thought that every year Autodesk rewrote the entire Revit programming code. Well, they actually did it this year and added the ribbon as part of it. Actually wrote a 64 bit version. Added stability. Increased speed in rendering time. Better graphics.

I've now asked and confirmed this with 3 Autodesk employees. Part of the reason they did it is for future improvements, enhancements and better functionality. I hope that's an acceptable answer. Whether you like the ribbon or not, Autodesk wanted a consistent looking interface for all of their products. Maybe they're hoping you'll buy one of each so having the consistent interface will matter.

So now you know. They didn't spend all their time creating the ribbon. They rewrote Revit so you could have a faster, better and more stable product. Feel better now? I know JR sleeps better at night knowing the truth.

2 comments:

Anonymous,  April 24, 2009 at 6:51 AM  

So what about Autodesk® RobotTM Structural Analysis? Where is a new menu there? Above are only stupid excuses from Autodesk to justify annual subscription fee.

Anonymous,  April 28, 2009 at 5:44 AM  

So, what with ribbon menu in Autodesk Robot Structural Analysis 2010? Where is it?

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]