Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Monday, June 29, 2009

So Many Shrimp in the Sea

I just got another follower on Twitter called SoManyShrimp. Actually, that's their name, their Twitter account is somanyshri5057. Other than it being a junk twitter account only existing to sell some bizarre product, it got me thinking.

I saw "shrimp" and my brain heard "BIM". Next thing, I'm saying BIM Gumbo, BIM kabob, fried BIM, Bar B Q BIM, BIM Scampi,

You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. There's uh, BIM-kabobs, BIM creole, BIM gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple BIM, lemon BIM, coconut BIM, pepper BIM, BIM soup, BIM stew, BIM salad, BIM and potatoes, BIM burger, BIM sandwich. That- that's about it.

I was having a conversation with Kim Renshaw of Autodesk a few weeks ago and I was saying that I thought there are 3 different types of BIM. BIM for architects, BIM for contractors and BIM for owners/facility managers.

She immediately challenged me on it and said, "No. There's only one BIM and all of those people just use the information in a different way."

Well, I think she's right and I was wrong. The next issue is how do we really share the BIM information and how does the original model get shared downstream. Another whole topic is what does the original design team need to do with their modeling process so it can be reused downstream. Do they get paid extra for that by the owner? Who owns the model, data and information? I'm sure all of this is already on a lot of your minds and Integrated Project Delivery also plays a very heavy hand in all of this. We all now that BIM is going to take of the world a lot faster than AutoCAD did in the last 26 years. Considering that Revit came out about 9 years ago, I think in the next 2 to 5 years, 2D design will be completely gone.

Argue with me about that if you will, but let's do some math. On every single construction project, about 5% of the owner's money goes towards design. The remaining 95% goes towards construction, managment, labor and materials. Since the 5% has such a huge effect on the other 95%, it's in the owner's best interest to do everything than can to control the effects of the 5% on the 95%. That's what IPD is really about. Any thoughts from my readers?

All I can say is 'Run Revit Run!"


1 comments:

Melanie (Stone) Perry June 29, 2009 at 8:47 PM  

My only thoughts are how to write a Revit Standard.
I'm in the midst of doing this (as an 'owner') right now and it's proving to be a challenge.

With my CADD Standards, it was basically quality control items that tried to be unobtrusive enough that they wouldn't mess with anyone's workflow too much, but, would still give me reusable docs. But, everyone is talking about BIM being so much about process change than drawings produced that I realize I'm going to have to change my mindset about what our standards really 'are'.

I'd appreciate any pointers anyone has to Revit Standards out there anywhere, or introductions to other Facilities using BIM on their projects.

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]