Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

CAD conversation continued (Really going to talk about Revit)

I must say the past week or two of blog posting has been interesting and now we come full circle.

I happily received a blog comment from Anthony (antman), the gentlemen who wasn't too appreciative of my blog post about the AutoCAD Update (link). Well, that started the ball rolling on 8/19 with a whole host of conversations.about CAD vs BIM, what is BIM, contractors, estimating, the business decisions of BIM and now back to CAD.

Anthony, thanks for responding. I pissed off a lot of people responding to your original comment. Not because they didn't like what I wrote, but because it was so a long post. They all agreed with what I said, but would have liked it in fewer words. So everyone reading this BIM Soap Opera,

Sorry, we interrupt this blog post for some more Greg humor now that I think about names for soap operas. Voting starts now. Vote for your favorite:



All My Children As the World Turns The Bold and the Beautiful Days of Our Lives General Hospital Guiding Light One Life To Live Passions The Young and the Restless


Ok, where was I....oh yeah, Anthony. He's happier now that I've toned down the AutoCAD bashing, and I've definitely tried to make it a much more interesting conversation as a result of his original comment.

antman said...

"CAD definition
CAD (kad)
noun
computer-aided design"

Ah, so Revit *is* CAD. .-)

BTW, I know I haven't called, and I probably won't even though you dared me (almost). Don't take it personally. I actually am thankful for the majority of your blog posts and I do appreciate your recent change of tone. I am just trying to absorb as much as I can for how to recommend my firm's BIM evolution. Keep at it Greg.

It's funny because I have a lovely set of blog bookends. On one side I have Anthony, trying to get his firm into BIM and on the other side, I have Phil Bernstein, the IPD guru. I guess we'll all find our happy place somewhere in between.

Oh, yeah, one thing that Anthony said in his original comment has really stuck in my mind and I keep thinking about:
Hi Gregory. You must really be *really* good at what you do, for Autodesk to let you be a reseller and yet bag non-stop on their bread-and-butter program line.
Anthony, my answer is, yes, I am that good at what I do. Not for the usual reasons as a reseller, but because of my passion, studying this stuff every day, educating the world, trying to help architectural firms increase profits, implement technology and mainly, because I understand the software, it's effects on customers, their business, and I'm honest about what I know, what I don't know and I don't try to sell someone something if it truly won't help them. For me, selling a box of software that won't get used, is the biggest sin of sales. I want to be part of the solution, not part of the problem. So many problems have been created by selling the wrong solution.

So, Anthony, thank you. You've inspired me to be better and I hope I can do the same for you.
~Gregory

I made a list of all of the blog posts I've made in the past week. It's definitely been a bumpy ride with just a bit of turbulence. Fasten your seatbelts, because I'm sure there'll be more fun. Anthony, you've made a dent.

IES VE-Gaia - Must Read: A Guided Quest for Hidden Energy | Cadalyst #IES #LEED

ITT's CDD & CM schools: Revit software - ITT addes Revit to Curriculum 8/19/2009 11:46:00 PM

Some new Revit and CAD Reality TV Shows #BIM Humor ,

A CAD Coincidence, why I love Revit and beat up on AutoCAD. #BIM Rant

Some Input on Output. What's the point of what you do with your software?

Revit Fix: Split Segment Sections with Dependent Views. #Revit

Revit Zone - Just another click in the Wall.....#Revit Tip ,

Autodesk -Revit Hotfix - Crash when deleting or modifying walls #Revit Tech Tip ,

The Skyscraper Museum: CHINA PROPHECY WALKTHROUGH

The World According to BIM, Part 3 | Cadalys

Green BIM: Sustainable Design with Building Information Modeling

Coinstruction - Model Based Estimating to Inform Target Value Design #BIM #Estimatin

Biting the BIM Bullet « Winter Street Architects #BIM Success

BIMfacts - Is it too late for architects to be "master builders"?8/23/2009 04:35:00 PM

It's BIM Pherstein. I mean Phil Bimstein...I mean Phil Bernstein BIM Philosopher - Commenting about Master Builders on my blog ,

Revit is a 'Business Decision' - 5% vs 95% and 8% vs 115% and 10% vs 85%

0 comments:

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]