Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Sunday, August 23, 2009

It's BIM Pherstein. I mean Phil Bimstein...I mean Phil Bernstein BIM Philosopher - Commenting about Master Builders on my blog

Wow, this has made everything all worthwhile and validating. I'm 44 years old, and to be quite honest, very little impresses me and heroes are overrated in this day and age. I'll also admit that I was always bored in school and aside from my first grade teacher and a class in Geology in college, studying and test taking were overrated.

On the other hand, this BIM, LEED and IPD self study program I've been on, is exhilarating. Every day, there is more and more to learn, absorb, process and it just keeps getting bigger and bigger. If Revit was never invented, and all I had to do all day was deal with AutoCAD and ACA, I'd have been bored out of my mind and probably in a CAD coma.


Depending on the hour, day or year, this blog has become an incredible creative outlet, sounding board, ranting target, blackboard, sharing platform, ego booster, thought provoker, life changer, fact finder and just a place in general where I'd like to think my words are making a difference to change the AEC world to be a better place.


So what's my point to all of this? Well, I just received a blog comment from none other than Autodesk's BIM and IPD Guru, Phil Bernstein. Not someone who I ever expected to be reading my blog, I was pretty surprised when the comment appeared. Pretty fantastic for me because if Phil Bernstein is reading my blog, I must be doing something right.


I have had a few conversations with Phil over the past few months about BIM and IPD, and I must say, he's on a level that's pretty amazing. I feel smarter every time I have a conversation with him about IPD, architecture, construction and the AEC industry. He's been my role model for IPD, so it's truly an honor to post the following.



http://bimboom.blogspot.com/2009/08/bimfacts-is-it-too-late-for-architects.html


phil.bernstein@autodesk.com, August 23, 2009 9:36 PM

Gosh, I hardly know where to start, so let's try this: architects have not been "master builders" since the middle ages, and the development of the profession of architecture is a social acknowledgment that building isn't just parts assembly but requires a specific knowledge of things far beyond technical efficacy. The definition of "the public health and safety" as well as "responsible control" both speak to the need for professionals whose can synthesize a broad range of variables--many technical that BIM will help manage--and many non-technical. The relationship of design and construction can't be reduced to a contest between the designers and the builders.


A parallel argument that might be built here is the changing role of the builder in the design process, and how BIM as a platform for collaboration will transform the entire design-to-build process.


So I believe this entire line of investigation would be much more interesting if cast less as "who wins and loses" but rather, how does the industry, using integrated methodologies, evolve?


Phil Bernstein
Autodesk / Yale School of Architecture


So, there you have it. Words from the master. I love that Phil can work for Autodesk, have an hour long conversation about IPD and never mention the word Revit. It's something I strive for in my conversations. A little harder to do since selling Autodesk software helps pay the bills. Speaking of sales, anyone who recommends me and my company to anyone for software or training, be sure to have them mention your name and I'd be happy to find a way to repay you for your help. After all, our BIM world is a small community and we all need to help each other to continue and succeed.

Thanks ~Gregory


PS. I wonder if this makes it OK for me to continue to bash AutoCAD....hmmm....


Addendum 10:06PM 8/24/09
I mistyped Phil's last name in the blog title. Sorry Phil. Guess I was having too much fun with the title and I was called out on my typo. It's corrected now. My apologies.

August 24, 2009 9:17 PM

Actually, it's "Bernstein" :)

You don't think I'd let you riff on the future without a comment here and there, no?

Phil

1 comments:

phil.bernstein@autodesk.com August 24, 2009 at 9:17 PM  

Actually, it's "Bernstein" :)

You don't think I'd let you riff on the future without a comment here and there, no?

Phil

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]