Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

What is the opposit of CD (Contract/Construction Documents)?

I was having a conversation today with my favorite architectural firm in Miami, Larry Cohan of BC Architects. (Larry, I spelled your name right this time). Larry is so far ahead of his time with technology, that I'm almost sure he's not really an architect, but is an MBA who's also very artistic.

While we were talking about some topics, I was telling him a story about an alternate nomenclature for SD, DD and CD phases of design. A thought popped into my head right after I said the word CD. If you remember in some recent posts, I discussed Defensive Contracting. You know, the projects where the contractor bombards the architect with RFIs, questions, letters, issues about discrepancies and all of the really fun stuff they put you through to cover their asses so they can recover money for change orders and time delays.

Of course, you look at all that paperwork as antagonistic, disrespectful and that they do things to make you look bad. They look at it as just good business sense to provide documentation for future legal challenges. The less you put on the drawings so there'd be less liability, the more they document that as well.

So, here's what I came up with. The opposite of CD is DC. You provide Construction Documents and they Document Construction. Makes perfect sense doesn't it? Do you know the secret to stop that from happening ever again? If you said switch to Revit, you'd be right.

I guess the phases of the design process should actually be SD, DD, CD and DC.
Hmmm, I've got to come up with something now for DD and DS.
Well, let's go with Dollars for Discrepancies and Dollars for Scheduling

Perfect. SD, DD, CD, DC, DD, DS. Now we have the full design and construction timeline all mapped out. Of course every architect gets paid for dealing with RFIs, change orders, addendums, job site visits and onsite coordination discrepancies, right? Great source of revenue?

What I don't understand is that if the AIA contract documents require the architect to provide a full set of contract documents, what exactly does that entail? What exactly is supposed to go into those documents that aren't there that give the GC all that room for creating their Defensive Contracting documentation?

...and you wonder why the GSA, Texas and Wisonsin now require BIM. I'm sorry. I'm not trying to lecture you, I'm just trying to make sense of why and where the system is broken. When did all of this start to happen? I know the answer, I'm just curious if you've figured out why we're in this position and why the contractors are all investing in BIM.

1 comments:

Byggestyring September 14, 2009 at 1:49 AM  

Thank for your Awesome article. Keep up the good work.

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]