Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Thursday, September 3, 2009

My blog is part of a crime scene? CAD is dead? It wasn't me!

I just found a link to my blog on CSI Weekly.  I'm sure you all know that CSI stands for Crime Scene Investigation.  The only thing I can think of is that CAD is dead and I'm on the suspect list because of the terrible things I've said in previous postings. 

Luckily, I have a bulletproof alibi.  I was out selling BIM to General Contractors at the time of the murder and I have the proof of buildings getting built with fewer clashes to back me up as witnesses.  I didn't do it.  I'm not responsible for the death of CAD. You can't pin it on me.  I loved CAD.  Without CAD, we wouldn't have such huge success with BIM.  I never wanted CAD to go away.

What? Really?  Oh crap.  I've just been informed that CSI stands for Construction Specifications Institute.  How embarrassing.  Well maybe the Youth in Asia had something to do with that.  CSI really isn't about crime scenes?  What about all of the clashes and problems in errors and ommissions and RFIs and Change Orders?  Doesn't that make the contractors want to strangle someone?  I can't see how they're not both part of the same organization, but whatever, I'll try to keep them separate in my head. 

I've been working with the CSI Miami chapter President and trying to help add some BIM to the exciting world of construction specifications.  Back when I was a kid, we had to go to the copy machine which didn't have the automatic document feeder, and turn over each page to copy front and back to make sets of spec books for subcontractors bidding projects.  Oh how I love you internet and PDFs.  The world has changed so much thanks to technology.

With the creation of products like e-Specs that can automatically create a specification book from a Revit model, the spec writers are going to need to become more consultative and help you set up your spec system rather than have them write the specs books the old fashioned way.  More efficiency and more productive work for everyone.  Wow, I want you to spend more money on software that automates the process rather than you pay people to manually create spec books.  Who do you think is going to win that battle.  Don't get me started on the ROI of BIM peripheral technology versus manual spec assembly.

Well, I'm happy that my blog is now getting further out into the ether and that my partnership with CSI chapters can help make architects and engineers more productive.  I'm sure you all love writing specifications as much as contractors enjoy reading them.  If we can make them part of the database, I'd love to find a way to tie them into products like Solibri and Navisworks.  We're making real progress in these areas.

It's part of what we call Big BIM.  It's ties all these different parts of the workflow and process of design and engineering together into a relational database that can be shared with multiple people along the timeline of the design and construction process.  You see, sharing information with others, reduces liability and lets others use their experience and knowledge to be part of a team to get the building built.  Try it. You'll like it.

~Gregory

1 comments:

Edwin Prakoso September 5, 2009 at 5:07 PM  

I like how you open this post Greg :)
You do have a great sense of humor. And bold enough to confront CAD lovers :D
I like your style though.

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]