Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Blog comment response to The Principal use of Revit - Are you happy with your technology?

I got a blog comment today. If you receive my blog via subscription, you wouldn't ever see the comments, so once in a while, a comment deserves to have it's own post as it kind of got me thinking about a lot of things as you'll see below.


Greg Bates, November 24, 2009 9:53 AM
The issue that your friend's father put forth really hits home - "people forget what you do, people forget what you say, but they never forget how you make them feel" So beyond telling them about the benefits of the software, how do we get these guys to FEEL good about the products we sell? Greg Bates Alignex Inc (Upper Midwest Autodesk VAR) PS You've got great content, keep it up!
Greg brings up a very interesting point. How does your software make you feel? Do the programs you use make you happy? Thanksgiving is on Thursday, so are we thankful for technology?

How do you feel about the following?
Your phone, Computer,Operating System, DVR, GPS, Design software, Accounting software, Web browser, Backup software, email program, PDA and bluetooth earpiece?

Are you happy with AutoCAD?  Really?  Are you a Revit user?  How has your life changed since you've learned Revit?  Is the quality of your life better with BIM?  Less paperwork, fewer fights, less coordination, fewer late nights and working weekends?

On my drive home tonight, my dad called me to help him install AVG Antivirus.  This is my third attempt. Apparently, emailing him the download link didn't work, and he keeps getting the software expiration notice.  Knowing that the free version of their software is buried online (how dare they make you pay for software), I told him to go to Google and type in "CNET AVG Free".  He did get to the correct link on the first try, but as you see below in the photo, complete FAIL on actually getting him to download the correct software.  I've put a red X around our first 3 attempts.  Doing tech support over the phone after a long day of prepping for your AU presentation is no fun.  It was only after I got home and tried to see the page he was on did I realize how impossible it is for anyone to find the correct link.


Am I thankful for technology? You betcha!  I love gadgets, software, computers and everything digital.  I love the BIM database and love where the AEC industry is headed.  On the minus side in my life, I've almost fully trashed my Palm Pre with patches and the newest one that throttles the processor has completely killed my bluetooth headset sound.  At least the phone works great with my new Verizon MIFI unit.  There's nothing like having a car router to make the commute more of a challenge. (No officer, I have no idea how fast I was driving, I was in the middle of sending a tweet.)  Then there I was working on my AU presentation today using Mind Map software and making notes with my Adapx digital pen.  It's almost time for my 22 month old to steal my iTouch and watch cookie monster and the C is for Cookie video.  If you've never seen it, it's mesmerizing and you'll want to sing it all day long.  As you're singing along, try B is for BIM


Video Link

The fact that I could google C is for Cookie lyrics and find it instantly is even scarier.  Of course you'll want to see the Wikipedia entry on the song from 1972. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Is_For_Cookie

Now what starts with the letter "C"?
"Cookie" starts with "C"!
Let's think of other things that starts with "C"!
Uh. . .Uh. . . Who cares about da other things?!

(CHORUS)x2

"C" is for Cookie that's good enough for me,
"C" is for cookie that's good enough for me,
"C" is for cookie that's good enough for me,
Oh! cookie, cookie, cookie starts with "C"!

Hey, You know what? A round cookie with one bite out of it looks like a "C"
A round donut with one bite out of it also looks like a "C" but it is not as good as a cookie
Oh, and the moon sometimes looks like a "C" but you can't eat that
So...
(CHORUS)
Cookie Cookie Cookie Starts with "C"
Cookie Cookie Cookie Starts with "C"


So, let's open Microsoft Word and do a quick search and replace for the letter C and the word Cookie.
I like this version so much better.


Now what starts with the letter “B”?
"BIM" starts with “B”!
Let's think of other things that starts with “B”!
Uh. . .Uh. . . Who cares about da other things?!

(CHORUS)x2

“B” is for BIM that's good enough for me,
“B” is for BIM that's good enough for me,
“B” is for BIM that's good enough for me,
Oh! BIM, BIM, BIM starts with “B”!

Hey, You know what? A round BIM with one bite out of it looks like a “B”
A round donut with one bite out of it also looks like a “B” but it is not as good as a BIM
Oh, and the moon sometimes looks like a “B” but you can't eat that
So...
(CHORUS)
BIM BIM BIM Starts with “B”
BIM BIM BIM Starts with “B”




Can you do any of these things with any 27 year old technology?  Of course not.  Embrace technology.  Give thanks for Autodesk, Revit, BIM, IPD and LEED.  Take a moment and look at all of the technology in our lives.  It's here to stay.  I've got to go now, the batter in my laptop is about to die. 

0 comments:

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]