Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Monday, November 2, 2009

Making a BIM Difference - 800#


Welcome to my 800th blog post. No, not forever, 800th for 2009. This post is actually number 1598.

The picture here is of my blog statistics for the last 365 days with almost 165,000 visitors. As you can see from the map, Revit has really spread all over the world.  There still must be a dictatorship in Russia, because there's only one visitor from there.  He must have snuck in a pirated copy.



I got an email yesterday from a gentleman I had a very lengthy conversation with Friday evening. The way the conversation started out, I swear I was getting a sales call. It took a few minutes to figure out exactly what he was looking for, but it was a very interesting conversation.

I don't normally do this, but I decided to post his email below. It made me come to a minor epiphany in my blogging life. My blog makes a difference.  I must admit, I've been a little bored of my own blog lately.  It seems to be the same thing over and over again. BIM is great, LEED is coming, BIM is great, LEED is coming.  Sometimes, I just don't know what I can add to the conversation at this point.  Revit has been out for almost 10 years now.  Either you get it or you don't.  I just don't see the point in trying to convince someone to swith at this point.

How many more blog posts about the success of BIM or stories of sustainable buildings do you need to see the light?  On a side note, just the backgrounds alone between AutoCAD and Revit make it all black and white.  AutoCAD with its dark forboding background and 100s of little icons vs Revit with its clean angelic white background with pretty and logical ribbon objects.  I needed a break from the blog, but the information never stops coming in.  If I told you how little effort it took to create 800 posts this year would you believe me?  The hard part is adding personal insight into the blog.

Well, the email I'm writing about, gave me some new fire.  It's hard to know without emails or blog comments from you whether my blog has made a difference in your life.  Did you switch to Revit because of someting I wrote?  Did you use the blog to convince your boss to get Revit for the company?  Did a post inspire you in some way to be a better architect or make your buildings a little greener?  Let me know if it did.  That feedback is the only way I know what direction to go in and what works and what doesn't. 

The email below really made me feel great about the blog.  It made me see that I am reaching out and helping others.  Gene is in a state that's not very BIM savvy.  He doesn't have any resources there and really wants to make the switch.  I'm fortunate that my staff has the resources to help anywhere in the world.  I'll be honest. I have no idea what a burden it must be to switch from 15 years of AutoCAD to Revit.  I just switched my wife from a Palm Centro to the Palm Pre.  I'm watching her trying figure out a brand new operating system and where the heck everything is.  She's stubborn and wants to figure it out on her own.  The 2D to 3D switch is much the same.

The gentleman below is willing to take the plunge because he already knows the benefits of BIM.  In our conversation, I had no idea of his credentials, and I now understand why he's so eager to switch.  His email really struck a chord with me.  Frustration, indifference, fear, failure, hope, practicality, potential.  So many things going on.

It's time for me to go and figure out what the 801st posts of the year will be about.  It's a neverending quest of bad vs BIM.  CADastrophe versus BIMformation.  Clash vs Cash.  You get the picture.  There's no doubt that every architect and engineer will have to move to Revit and BIM.  I'm curous to see how long you think you can avoid making the switch and then afterwards realizing how you wish you had done it so much sooner.  So many people think they're really going to show Autodesk who's boss and wait as long as possible before they upgrade.  Do you really think there are savings in upgrading every 4 or 5 years?  Well, on the the email.  I hope it inspires you just a little.

*********************************
Greg
It was a pleasure to speak to you in regards to training and more importantly the BIM revolution. Here is an outline of my story so you can fully understand who am.
· Worked for a family owned General Contracting company for 10 years
· Owned and operated a 21 person Arch/Eng firm in NY for 20 years. Sold it in May 2007. Did many municipal and private projects.
· Did a few projects in BIM Revit but could not get my people to be trained, also clients and competitors were the “CAD mills” and poor performers you described, pressing out plans cheaply and full of impracticality and clients who only wanted to pay for the lowest cost for A/E services (they did not grasp that practical experience in the design process and more man-hours spent into design and analysis would save construction dollars)
· Taxes, Health Insurance and general worker apathy coupled with my firms client base and water/sewer experience made it perfect to get out of NY and sell

· Currently retooling another company so specialize in the more detailed aspects of analysis utilizing more analysis software and technology to gain more fees and man-hours and a better product for clients

· I am an engineer licensed in 6 states, with many years of practical construction experience
I am very interested in training, partnering etc on projects where we both can benefit. I would also like to speak to you more in detail.
Respectfully
Gene

2 comments:

Robin Capper November 3, 2009 at 12:17 AM  

Hey, I have a problem with that map! Can you guess why?

RobiNZ :)

Alex_Wolf November 6, 2009 at 5:09 AM  

Sorry, I'm this one visitor from Russia. I will not use pirated copy AutoCAD... :) You make big mistake!

I'm Autodesk reseller from Khabarovsk, Far East, Russia and i'm use dealer versions of AutoCAD, AutoCAD Architecture, Revit Architecture Suite and NavisWorks Manage. I use this NFR (dealer versions) for show to my clients this software! :))) Ooppss!!! :)))

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]