Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Principal use of Revit

While I was doing my e-SPECS demo last week, there were a few principals in the room who had never seen Revit, except for in a power point presentation.

It was a very friendly audience and while I was having fun doing the presentation, I was showing them something in Revit when I blurted out  "It's so easy, even a principal can use it."

Everybody laughed at that comment, but it does bring up a much more serious topic.

Principals!  There's a digital disconnect with older principals.  Since AutoCAD is so hard to learn, use and overcome, many principals never got close to it.  As they watch their staff zip away at the commands and line drawing, it seemed overwhelming to them. 

Another issue which I learned from a dear friend's father who's in his sixties once said to me, "Gregory, when people like myself sit in front of the computer, we fell stupid.  I think I'm very smart, yet when i sit down and look at the screen and keyboard, I have no idea what to do, so I choose not to go near a computer." 

Take a very smart, seasoned professional, sit him down in front of a new computer, technology or device and watch them slink away dejected they've been bested by another digital devil that their grandchildren can use. 

Any new technology brought into a firm can have the same negativity attached to it.  AutoCAD and 2D are so difficult that Revit, BIM and 3D must be impossible to learn or use.

I dare anybody to go to www.revit3d.com/start if you've never used Revit.  There you'll find instructions and the getting started guide to build your first project in about 4 hours.  There's a long weekend ahead, so what do you have to lose. 

If you're a principal, do it on principle.  So many principals have lost control of their staff.  They're dependant on the drafters, must do what they're told is the right or best way to do things, and are held hostage by technology and the decisions, opinions or demands of others. A little research on the internet or my completely unbiased blog would do a lot to shed some light on the reality of BIM. 

A continuing theme in my conversations of late are fear.  Fear of looking stupid, fear of learning new technology, fear of failure, fear of the learning curve, fear of 3D, fear of getting stuck, fear of looking bad in front of one's boss or superior and fear of change.  Meanwhile, this is all while using an iPhone, Blackberry, XM Radio, digital camera, DirecTV, GPS or email.  It's funny how the one technology that can actually make a firm more money via productivity is the one that it shunned. I'm still trying to uncover the root of the problem, but I think I'm getting closer to an answer.


1 comments:

Greg Bates November 24, 2009 at 9:53 AM  

The issue that your friend's father put forth really hits home - "people forget what you do, people forget what you say, but they never forget how you make them feel"

So beyond telling them about the benefits of the software, how do we get these guys to FEEL good about the products we sell?

Greg Bates
Alignex Inc (Upper Midwest Autodesk VAR)

PS You've got great content, keep it up!

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]