Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thank you to those who made a donation today.

OK everybody, this has gotten out of control.  A few people have poisoned what we're trying to do for a worthy cause and that's to carve the word 'REVIT' into the Shaan Hurley, the Autodesk Platform Technology Evangelist's head.  Platform Technology means AutoCAD.  What could be a better statement to make than that?  


First of all, thank you to everyone who did make a donation today.  We're up to $575.  Was it that terrible to take a day off from the blog and ask for a return favor?  To the one person who unsubscribed to my blog today, so what.  18 people signed up.  If I'm not losing a blog subscriber here and there, I'm really not doing enough to push the BIM envelope.  


BIM is about collaboration and sharing. Just to guilt those of you who expect a one way street where I give everything and you give nothing, well, that's just not right in my book.  Like I said, this is all out of control.  In the interest of the nerves I struck today, well, you started it by not responding in the first place.  I'm still deciding on how I feel about all of this, but we'll resolve it all soon enough.  


I almost forgot, this has gone global with tenlinks.com picking up the story.  That was pretty cool so we know it can't be that horrible what we're doing.

Nov 11 - Autodesk's Shaan Hurley to Shave Head for Charity 
http://tenlinks.com/NEWS/cad_news.htm



Jeff, TheRevitKid.com who was kind enough to make his own blog post and make a donation,Give a Little Bit, and we received an email tonight from a not so nice blog reader.  We were deciding how to react to it.  What's ironic was the  two statements he made.


Let's respond to the first:

   "stop using your blogs as vehicles for pushing your views down our throats !"

Uh, hello, McFly?  Pushing our views down your throat?  WTF?  What do you think we do every single day with our blog posts about Revit?  You completely blew that one by suggesting that getting some BIM solidarity and making a difference in the world would do that.  What do you think a blog is?  It's a Web Log.  It's about my personal thoughts, views, opinions, and whatever else I feel like posting here.  A blog isn't something that the readers are supposed to decided what I post.   It's your choice to read or not read my blog, but it's all about my views.

Next up:
As you can see, this has hit a real nerve with me and hopefully others will also express their disgust at your attempts to manipulate."


Dude....my attempts to manipulate?  I'm trying to get every architect and engineer on the planet to stop using AutoCAD and move to Revit.  Yeah, I'm trying to manipulate.  I'm using the blog to do exactly that.  Again, you've completely missed the point of my blog.



Here's my respponse to an email I received today which may make all of this make a little more sense.


It's not my charity.  It came from Shaan Hurley who's the Platform Technology Evangelist
for Autodesk.  He's one of the brains behind AutoCAD.  It was originally his blog post and tweets of something he was doing for himself or someone he knows.   I met Shaan a month ago in Orlando Florida at an Autodesk event.  He and I had a little disagreement about my posts about AutoCAD and how I shouldn't say bad things about it. 

 

If you've been reading my blog for a while, then you know how I feel about Revit and AutoCAD.  After seeing his blog post about him offering to shave his head for reaching his donation goals, it seemed like a great idea for me to help him get there with one single blog post.  Shaan even offered to have me shave his head if he reached the numbers.  Well, I decided that if I could do something to make that happen, then I would actually carve the word REVIT into his head instead of shaving his whole head.   That would seem like the perfect thing to do to someone who works for the AutoCAD division of Autodesk.

So, that brings us to last night's blog post.  I've been working on the blog for several years now.  I don't get paid for it, I don't financially benefit from it and I love being the source for so many people and being the first to report on many things such as release dates, features and everything else BIM.  I figured that the least my audience could do was donate $5.00 towards Shaan's charity.  To be honest with you, I was pissed that only one person out of eight hundred took the time to make a donation.  That's pretty lame.  My blog is my personal forum.  I've been a BIM evangelist and worked hard to try to change the world of architecture and construction. I'm burnt out right now.  I'm trying to get to 1000 blog posts for this year, I have to get my presentation done for Autodesk University and a million other things at work that make me wonder if I should spend my time to keep the blog going for you if you don't give me back a little something.  Even though none of the charity was for me, my cause or something I was doing, it bothered me greatly that my readers couldn't take a little action to make what I do seem a little more worthwhile. 

I need a break from the blog for a few days.  It's exhausting to keep up with all of the information and filter it for you and the world.  I didn't see how 5 minutes and $5.00 was that big of a deal.  You're right to your point that many have their own charities and causes that they work for.  Mine is BIM and sustainability.  I want to make the planet a better place.  If you take my 800 blog posts this year and divide it into $5.00, you get .00625 cents per post.  That's a pretty good deal. 

I'm up to $540 today in donations, so I think it's had the desired effect.  Maybe I'll start blogging again tomorrow. 
Gregory



Gregory,

 We are here to learn about Revit and not be a tool for charitable organizations through this blog. You may be interested to know that some of us do support these causes outside of this blog in our own life and contribute there on our own time. Please do not make this a personal forum for anything but what it is and that is Revit. As much as we appreciate the cause you are behind it is your cause and we do not need to necessarily support whatever you deem is the cause du jour here. Let us all do this on our own time.

Yours sincerely,
M

....
and his response to my email:

 I understand now the thought behind it and I appreciate the explanation. Thanks for clearing this up for me.


 


1 comments:

6p00e54f8b7df88834 November 12, 2009 at 6:40 AM  

I can not believe that there are people who believe they SAY what you (Greg) will write or not IN YOUR BLOG.

I'll be honest, I had not thought to donate something for not being a resident in your country, I already have a lot of help in my country in several areas. But still, I felt an obligation to help and made my small donation.

Not only did it to help you and Shaan, but because I thought it was the right thing to do.

And for those who did not like what you decided to not read the blog more, search for information elsewhere and not bother others.

Att

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]