Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Thursday, January 21, 2010

BIM Blog Banter « Daily Occurrence

Since most people don't see blog comments, it makes it easier when I write a post, someone makes a blog comment and then makes a blog post about their comment about my blog post to which I make a blog post about their blog post about their comment about my blog post. This sort of thing causes a rip in the digital time-space continuum where someday Skynet will create the BIMBorg where resistance is futile. I'm obsessed with domain names, so please feel free to visit www.BIMBorg.com

Sometimes I don't think I'm doing my blog job well enough unless I piss off someone enough to have them unsubscribe or someone makes a comment. For the record, any of you can make anonymous blog posts just so I know you're alive and reading this.

I'll say it again. There's no way any general contractor will ever use AutoCAD Architecture if they've never used AutoCAD before. They will only use Revit. To Robin's comment below as well, contractors will buy and use what's most efficient and easiest to use, manipulate and make money from. The answer is still Revit.

Guys, we're talking about the difference between architects and contractors here, not the difference between AutoCAD Architecture and Revit Architecture. I dare anyone to find me one contractor who given the choice, bought AutoCAD Architecture to do BIM modeling. Architects are going to be forced to move to Revit from contractors recommending Revit to owners and developers because it will help them build the building faster and for less money. There's just no winning that war. Fight it all you want, but it's just plain over.

If you prefer AutoCAD Architecture, good for you. I like my Palm Pre, Windows 7, Heinz Ketchup and the Bloomin' Onion (instead of the Awesome Blossom. (As a side note: You get the BO at OB - Bloomin' Onion at OutBack and the ABC - Awesome Blossom at Chili's). Be sure to reverse it for each restaurant you go to just to piss them off.

Antman, I'm glad I've given you something to think about. I want you to think more about how you're going to get work when BIM, LEED and IPD become more adopted by contractors and owners. It's not about you and what software you like. It's about energy and cost efficient buildings that can be fully modeled, use prefabrication and benefit the owner, not your own resistance to change and the future.

Repost from my post http://dailyoccurrence.wordpress.com/2010/01/21/bim-blog-banter/

I follow a lot of blogs. I really enjoy gaining information that will help me with the technical and procedural side of architecture, but I also like hearing things I don’t quite agree with that challenge what I think. Greg Arkin at Revit3D.com tends to post in a way that provokes me to thought. .-) I read and responded to this post yesterday, and figured I would repost it here too.


Greg, people hear what they want to hear. If you want to hear people talking about AutoCAD Architecture, subscribe to those blogs. There are a number of them out there, including my own.
Second, it’s not really that difficult to use Project Navigator in ACA, with its Constructs, Elements, Views and Sheet Set. Either that, or I am an outright genius for being able to grasp it. Feel free to pick one, or both.
.-)

Third, whether it’s Revit or ACA, it’s no problem for people to become ‘comfortable’ with using it in a week, but that doesn’t mean they’re anywhere close to fully (or even largely) grasp it. It simply takes time to learn a program enough to know how to handle situations that require something other than the step-by-step procedures you’ve learned in a week. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a necessary foundation, but who declares a building finished after the slab is placed?


Finally, to truly make a software platform shine, you need an expert (preferably in-house) who can develop and evolve processes and support the users in a way that will bring the most benefit to their individual firm. Each company has its own ideas about what its goals are and what are the most profitable processes to accomplish those goals. These processes must be weighed and executed carefully whether your are Architect, Engineer, or Contractor.


BIM Blog Banter « Daily Occurrence

Also....Robin Capper also added his own comment to this thread:
If, and it's a big IF, you use AutoCAD Architecture (ACA) as a bulding model tool I think the transition to Revit easier. The problem is most people "thunk AutoCAD" when using ACA and the program's affinity with it gave you an easy "out".

Creating a model isn't much different in either platform, once used to the workflow. Revit is far slicker at leveraging the model date and managing change.

Coming from ACA it's surprising how much of our object data structures (ie property/classification) can migrate to Revit without change. What is surprising is the things ACA still does better than Revit.

The most painful loss being the ability to automatically manage content updates (from master files) across multiple projects automatically. That part of the BIM toolset in ACA leaves Revit in it's dust.

1 comments:

dailyoccurrence January 22, 2010 at 2:01 PM  

Don't worry, you don't make me upset. Just because I like ACA doesn't mean I'm not on the Revit bandwagon also.By the way, thanks for the exposure!

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]