Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

State of Texas BIM Guidelines and Standards Published to Website

Wow, I just got the most amazing birthday present ever and it was only an email. When I was presenting at Autodesk University, one of my attendees came up to me before the class to introduce himself and told me that he enjoyed reading my blog. He's a BIM Rock Star and I'm truly honored that our paths crossed because of all of my hard work on the blog and that people like him are actually reading it.

I always wonder who out there is reading this, not that each of you is not important, but there are some huge advocates and heavy hitters in the BIM world that really are noticed. People like Steve Jones of McGraw-Hill, Phil Berstein, IPD Guru of Autodesk, John Tocci Jr. (no, the son, not the owner of Tocci Construction), Laura Handler, BIM Goddess (who gets a huge round of applause for being chosen for the 40 under 40 award from Building Design + Construction Magazine), and last but not least, the star of this post, Chris Tisdel, Director of BIM for the State of Texas.

You're all amazing people, and I'm glad I've been able to meet and know each of you and that each of you lives and breathes BIM.

So, here's the email I got today from Chris.  I've even gone so far as to ask his secret for getting Texas to require BIM so that all states are created equal and we can create better designed and more sustainable buildings.


date
Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 5:41 PM
subject
TFC BIM Guidelines and Standards Published to Website




Good afternoon Greg,

First, let me say that your website and blog are some of the most informative sites on the internet when it comes to all things BIM and beyond! My biggest problem is that once I start reading and hyperlinking this way and that, I end up forgetting what I was looking at in the first place...

Second, I thought that you might be interested in our BIM Standards and Guidelines:

http://www.tfc.state.tx.us/communities/facilities/prog/construct/formsindex

Download Form #23, "PSP Guidelines/Standards, Revised 1/15/2010"


TFC will be updating this document quarterly. Further, we will be adding specific sections that concern structural, MEP, civil, and landscaping disciplines.

All new contracts have this document as an attachment and all work is expected to be done within the BIM platform.

Presently, TFC is in the midst of "constructing" its BIM central server environment to allow A/E/C's to connect to TFC servers and work within one BIM model.

I hope this email finds you well and I enjoyed meeting you at AU... nice presentation and great discussion!

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Tisdel, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP
Director - Building Information Modeling
Texas Facilities Commission - State of Texas
1711 San Jacinto, Austin, TX 78701

There you have it....what happens in Texas should be repeated everywhere else.  Thanks Chris for the awesome job you're doing and for sharing this great info with me and the rest of the world.  It's only a matter of time before CAD is extinct, so if you still have any doubts about the future of Revit and BIM, please tell me what exactly you don't get about using real technology in the design and construction process.

Well, my birthday is almost over, and it's time for me to get ready for my son JR's 2nd birthday tomorrow.  He will be learning Revit this year just so you can hear me say that Revit is so easy, even a two year old can use it.  

1 comments:

JimAlifSiin January 28, 2010 at 8:24 PM  

Happy Belated Birthday!

"My biggest problem is that once I start reading and hyperlinking this way and that, I end up forgetting what I was looking at in the first place..."_Chris Tisdel, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP...Yeah!that BIM my head!

BIMism,
Jasni.

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]