Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Saturday, February 20, 2010

A little BIM tidbit for multiple computer & monitor users


Hi. Welcome to my desk. I took this picture the other day. I will admit that the laptop on the far left was only there for a very short time while I was configuring something. Otherwise, I do have two computers with a total of four monitors.

I'm sure some of you have more than one computer, and even if you have just one monitor each, you have to deal with multiple keyboards and mice, unless you're using a KVM switch, which doesn't really let you move back and forth between computers as gracefully as you'd like.

Today, I found a great little solution to the problem. It's a little piece of software called Input Director. You can download it at http://www.inputdirector.com/downloads.html.

It's so cool because the mouse moves through each monitor as if they were all part of the same computer. Whatever monitor the cursor is on, the keyboard will work for that computer.

So, if you're a multitasker like me, you can become even more efficient in your computing environment.

Sample:
In the screenshoot above the slave "jane" is positioned between bob and the Master system but has its Skip flag checked. When moving the cursor between the Master System and the remaining slave, Input Director will treat the "jane" system as if it doesn't exist. A slave's skip flag setting is temporary and not remembered between restarting Input Director or rebooting the Windows system.

1 comments:

Alan February 21, 2010 at 2:03 PM  

I use just one computer, but I've heard a lot of good things about Synergy. It sounds pretty similar to inputdirector, but maybe check it out too. http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

-ALAN STEVENSON

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]