Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Seth's Blog: Moving the line (the power of a zealot) to BIM

I'm going to try not to repost Seth Godin's entire post here, so I'll include just a few snippets. When I see a blog post titled "Moving the line", I can only think of it in terms of CAD vs BIM.

The post starts with

Extremists move the middle.
Do you think I'm an extremist? Am I too passionate about my love of BIM? Steve Stafford just wrote a post yesterday about the number of Revit blogs. We're up to 77 and growing every day.

Why do we defend things so much? Sports, politics, religion, software, technology, cellphones, music, food. CAD Standards?
Most of us draw a line somewhere between the extremes. That means we're already compromising, we just argue about how much.
Yesterday, we had a company come in for some very specialized 3ds Max training. The company sells a product. They end up paying up to $100,000 for design of the container for this line of product. They decided to have their internal graphic artist learn 3ds Max so they wouldn't have to outsource it. One of our techs happens to already design products in the same field. He walked into my office in a tizzy. Apparently, the guy wants to buy a Mac, which doesn't run 3ds Max, unless you load bootcamp and Windows 7. He was mad that the guy wouldn't comprise. Two other of my techs who are diehard PC fanatics were upset about it too. I walked into the training room to introduce myself, see how things were going and nonchalantly ask him if he was going to buy a new computer for 3ds Max. He said he was going to get a specific Mac. I asked him what else he does in his job and what software he and his company uses. Apparently, they're mostly Mac based, he will only use 3ds Max for 10% of his job, and everything else with Mac graphic design software. I told him that getting a Mac and using bootcamp would then be the perfect solution for him. Did I compromise? No. Would I ever use a Mac? No. Do I love my iTouch. Yes. All three techs looked puzzled, but none of them actually asked what he did for the rest of his job and what would be the best computer for him. We did discuss him buying 5 new PCs with all the money they'd be saving to create a rendering farm, but that's a whole other story.
Not just stick with our ad hoc line, but argue about it, defend it and get angry about it.


It's interesting to note that an enormous amount of apparently principled argument goes on about relatively tiny movements in where the line is being drawn.
I know we're way beyond tiny movements with BIM, but there are still millions of people arguing about that reality

And so it's left to the zealots. The people at either end have little hope of moving the masses all the way to their end of the argument. Instead, what they do is make it feel safer to change the boundaries, safer to recalibrate the compromise. Over time, as the edges feel more palatable, the masses are more likely to be willing to edge their way closer to one edge or another. Successful zealots don't argue to win. They argue to move the goalposts and to make it appear sane to do so.
Zealots?  Hmm.  All I know is that as more contractors and subs adopt BIM, our sales and technical staff are busy every day helping them and winning more business.  Given the choice of a contractor willingly buying Revit and paying for training, I think you'll find fewer zealots trying to argue with architects about the benefits of BIM.  Again, it goes back to resources and efficiency.  The CAD goalpost hasn't really moved in 28 years.  It's all about change (and the reduction of Change Orders). 

I'm truly fasscinated with the psychology of technology, the fear of change and the resistance to anything that deviates from status quo.  I will continue to passionately express my feelings about what I love.  It occurred to me the other day when someone complained to me about what I say about CAD here. It's very simple.  This isn't an AutoCAD blog.  It's a Revit, BIM, LEED and IPD blog.  I'm sure there are other blogs for 'the others' to read that they might find more agreeable to their opinion of where the line is. Of course that line is buried on a layer, with a line color and thickness and has absolutely nothing to do with Design, Construction and Facility Managment.

~Gregory

Original: Seth's Blog: Moving the line (the power of a zealot)


2 comments:

JimAlifSiin February 21, 2010 at 2:19 AM  

God blessed you Greg!

Amin.

Timothy R. Hughes February 22, 2010 at 3:44 PM  

I am quite intrigued to see you lock into Godin like I do Greg. Interesting that his messaging and information has such a broad business footprint! Another great post,

Tim

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]