Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Autodesk Show Reel 2010 and another rant about the line drafters - Blog post #2,000

Note:  In case anyone is reading this, it's my 2,000th post on the blog.  I'm writing this on September 9th, 2010.  It never occurred to me to make a mental note about that milestone, but another blog made a post about his 100th post today, so I thought I'd take a look to see when I hit 2,000.  In rereading the post below, it sure looks like I made it specifically to be a special milestone post.  In actuality, it's just another day on the blog, but I do like the coincidence.  Thanks for being a reader.  Gregory.

There are good days, there are bad days, there are great days and every day of the week ends in "y". There are many "whys" in my life.
Why are you here? Why am I here? Why are so many so stuck on 2D? Below is a new video from Autodesk. It showcases their technologies and are all images and animations created from their customers.

What is unbelievable to me is why more people don't appreciate these technologies and embrace them. Why are they so against Revit, BIM and all of these things which make design better connected to construction and manufacturing. Why do I waste my time ranting about them? Why should I bother? I really do want to share these technologies with the world. I've had a few conversations the past 3 days that really confirm that we're on the right path. My conversations with Scott, Jerry, Doug, Linda, Rick, Jim, Mark, Joe, Rod, Paul, Todd, Valerie, Joyce, Edwin, Mary, Liam, Larry, Rob and Dan, who are all part of 6 Degrees of BIM, have all had their words swirl in my mind and keep me pushing deeper into the BIM wilderness.

The way I see it, it's very simple. The design and construction industry are broken. There is such little actual technology used to make the design, procurement, construction and management involved in the existing process. Is it really CAD vs BIM? What defines CAD and BIM? CAD is just the act of drafting. There's nothing about actually sharing the information with others, and that's where the problems start. BIM is more of the conglomerate of the software, technology, people, workflow, process and sharing of the information throughout the life of the project and into facility management. Because BIM is a database that begs to be shared, it's an evolution like nothing we've seen in the AEC industry in a long time.

If any of you out there are old enough to remember, is the process today any different with CAD than it was when done with paper, pencil and light tables? Has anyone improved on the workflow in the last 28 years? It's fascinating to be able to have the conversations I get to have every day and share the knowledge with others.

I was talking to an electrical contractor today. He wanted to buy a seat of Navisworks, but didn't have a lot of time to talk because he was cleaning up CAD drawings. Out of curiosity, I asked exactly what he was doing. He was changing all of the layers and colors to their standards. He was annoyed because someone put the dimensions and room names on the same layer. He estimates that 10 to 15% of his time on every project is spent doing this clean up. He also admitted that they ultimately end up charging for this as part of their design and engineering fees. With so many versions of AutoCAD, AutoCAD LT, AutoCAD Architecture and AutoCAD MEP floating around, I wonder how any design work ever gets done. You CAD users out there are so concerned about your layers, line weights and colors, that you forget what it is your actually supposed to do. Well, don't change a thing.

For the rest of you who have figured it out and have moved beyond the line, relish in the world we are a part of. Love them or hate them, Autodesk has customers who not only get it, but have created digital works of beauty. We're so far away from 28 years ago and so many are still so frozen in time. Perhaps this is the blog post that gets one more person off of their layer and into the parametric modeled world. I still don't know sometimes why I bother. Maybe because I'm bothered so much by technology laggards. I'm mad at CAD and I'm not going to take it anymore. Well, it's all in good fun. I'm grateful to have the opportunity to express my thoughts here every day and continue the battle.

So, now, sit back and enjoy the next two minutes of this beautiful video.




>Video Link

1 comments:

dailyoccurrence March 24, 2010 at 10:50 AM  

I think I spotted AutoCAD in there twice.
.-)

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]