Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Friday, March 19, 2010

BIM and Estimating...The countdown begins.

Because I think nothing is an accident, I think it's time to start exploring estimating for BIM, just to add another level of learning for me.  When I say learning, I don't mean the estimating itself, as I've done a lot of estimating in my past life as a general contractor.  I want to explore how estimating can be done faster and easier.

Almost exactly 3 years ago, I wrote a blog post with the following question:
Wouldn't it be nice if they could give you an "Accurate" instead of an "Estimate?"
http://bimboom.blogspot.com/2007/03/costx-bim-estimating-software.html

Well, it's been 3 long years and I'm still searching for the holy grail of estimating.  I'm hoping that someday, buildings will be fully modeled in Revit (or whatever BIM software you use, and AutoCAD Architecture DOES NOT COUNT!) so we can stop counting and measuring.  I've never seen a door schedule that matches the number of doors on the plans.  There's something wrong and architects have no right to every bitch about contractors when there is missing or erroneous information on the plans that leads to change orders and more work for the contractors.

It's time to have bankers only do construction lending for BIM projects so there's less risk of their money.  I've just asked Timberline to make me a reseller so I can find a way to connect Revit models to Timberline software.  Apparently, there's only one person out there who knows how to do this and I want to be the second.  

Estimating leads to purchasing which leads to building which leads to facility management.  It all adds up and let's have the information entered just one time and keep the database alive.  Why do you line drawers make it so hard on contractors?  It's no wonder there's such animosity between A/E and C.  

Well, I'm going to make it my mission to fix that problem.  It's time for some 5D in my life.  If anyone wants to join in and help me on this journey, climb aboard.  I'll even try to find some guest bloggers on the subject.  

My pun for the day, from count and measures we get countermeasures.  BIM is the countermeasure to the lack of information that CAD brings to the table.  Since I'm already involved with selling 6 estimating programs, I want to find what connects to BIM the fastest, easiest, most economically. It's the thousands and thousands of small subcontractors that really need a solution.    


So, if anyone out there has a Timberline solution in tying into to a Revit model, I have a really large contractor willing to give you lots of money from their estimating department. 

1 comments:

JohnASB March 20, 2010 at 2:14 PM  

Have you looked at Innovaya:
http://www.innovayaweb.com/prod_revit.htm

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]