Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Gregory Arkin Answers, "What are You Working on?" - Blog - Build2Sustain

I have a confession to make. I've been cheating on you. I've been secretly writing for another blog. I haven't been fully committed to you. So, I figured I'd confess and let you see the other blog in my life. Here's my post from the Build2Sustain website that was posted today.

I wish I had more free time to make more blog commentary here, and I'm trying to free up some time do make the blog more of a conversation about BIM, than just reposting every other current BIM link. The past month was crazy with the 2011 release and I think things have settled down a bit, so I'm trying to reorganize the blog and not overwhelm you with information. The problem is, what if we miss one post? Will that be the one that's critical to your business?

Oh, one more thing. I can't forget to mention Randy Deutsch http://bimandintegrateddesign.com/ who was kind enough to leave the following comment from the post below. Randy, it's an honor knowing you and thank you for all of your great writing on your blog.
I think I've read all 407 of Greg's posts this year - and I would have to say this guest post, his 408th, is my favorite so far. Greg puts 407% of himself into everything he says and does and probably has come closest at this technological time for our industry to living the dream. Greg packs more into a minute than that measurement of time was ever meant to hold. Every turn of phrase, every clever insight, every tip and trick and certainly every pun can't help but add inspiration to your day - it certainly does so for mine. Greg put the personal back in personality - and make reaching the BIM, LEED and IPD goal seem almost achievable. Thank you Greg for yet another wonderful post!
April 23, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterRandy Deutsch
Is all of this self serving and self marketing? I'm not sure. Go ahead and start your own blog. Try and see what it takes to stay on top of it and keep coming up with fresh ideas and postings. Then, try to see if you can take a day, a week or a month off after you get to 100 or 1,000 subscribers. Unbelievably, I got over 13,000 hits on March 25th, the day I could officially post about the Autodesk 2011 products (and the same night I only got 3 hours of sleep).  Try to set a goal for yourself to make 1,000 posts in a year. 

...and now the post
http://www.build2sustain.com/blog/2010/4/23/greg-arkin-answers-what-are-you-working-on.html

Advisory board member, Gregory Arkin, lets us know what he's been working on lately. You can find out more about Gregory on the B2S team page.

Last Thursday, I received an email from Raquel reminding me of my guest blog post this week. I thought, no problem, I can get that cranked out in no time. Well, it's now a week later and I'm furiously typing away and a day late with my post. How ironic that what I'm working on is preventing me from having the time to write about what I'm working on.

With that, I'll recommend that you read this Lifehacker.com post about declaring Time Bankruptcy. That's where you've committed to so many things, there just isn't enough time in the day to do all of them. So, you stop everything, every commitment, every obligation and figure out what do you need to do to make it to the light at the end of the recession tunnel.

Gosh, I don't even know where to start about "What are you working on?" I don't want to bore you with what I do day to day, and I do want to keep this post somewhat concise, so I'll ramble through sharing with you a glimpse into my life. In theory, I'm supposed to be selling software for a living. I'm an Autodesk reseller, yes, the wonderful people who brought you AutoCAD. Before I entered the world of Autodesk, I was a computer consultant for 9 years, and prior to that, a general contractor (third generation).

So, what do I do all day? I try to convince people to stop using CAD and move to BIM, LEED and IPD. I'm passionate, technologically advanced, love to talk, love efficiency, automation and have deemed myself a BIM Consultant and Evangelist. I spend all day talking to people. We talk about change, status quo, fear, the architectural, engineering and construction industry, the recession, emerging businesses, and on occasion, I sell someone a license of Revit.

Over the next few weeks, I'll be doing BIM and LEED presentations to the Florida Wall & Ceiling Contractors Association (FWCCA) regional convention, AUGI CAD Camp, Tampa Bay AIA Principals Round Table, Construction Association of South Florida/McGraw-Hill BIM Conference, FWCCA State Convention, AIA National Conference. That's between now and June 15th. I know I'm missing one, but I just can't think of what it is right now.

Then there are the committees. Associated Builders and Contractors Education Committee, Construction Association of South Florida BIM Committee, Build2Sustain, TheRevitCoop.com,US Green Building Council monthly meetings and maintaining CMP credits, Florida Bar Grievance Committee and I have a very active two year old, so I'm on the diaper changing committee. Of course, I can't leave out my www.Revit3D.com blog with 407 post so far this year and headed for over 1,100 for the year.

Why do I do all of these things? I'm still not sure myself. It's this BIM and LEED thing. The ability to design buildings better, with more efficiency in the design and systems and have a database of information that can be used for facility management. I'm all about the data, the information, the cloud, the collaboration of minds, ideas and technologies.

The reality is, the system is broken. Me and a few others (like yourself, since you're reading the Build2Sustain blog) are trying to make a difference in the world. We want energy efficient buildings. We want a better way of doing things. We thrive on changing the world and changing the light bulbs. It's exhausting, but it's the right thing to do.

Yes, the economy sucks and there's no end in sight, but there are business opportunities out there to make emerging markets and emerging technologies useful in creating new ways to do things better, saving time, money and energy. There are ways to think outside the box and reinvent ourselves. I have this conversation day after day and I never get tired of it. My own company, which has been around for 28 years, primarily sold software to architects and engineers. Now, we're swamped with work from contractors, subcontractors and manufacturers, all wanting their projects and products modeled in 3D.

Ok, I think I've gone way too long in the post and lost all of you. I just got interrupted by a phone call from a plumbing subcontractor. He told me I had to call a contractor this second who needed a 10 story $28 million dollar project modeled in 3D so they do clash detection. The owner of the project was asking about BIM, and now I'm off to pick up a set of blueprints and price up this project for them. Lucky for me, they've already found so many mistakes on the plans in coordination issues, that they really have no choice but to invoke the power of BIM. In regards to my work with Build2Sustain, once you've reached the Zen level of BIM, being able to run energy models and create more energy efficient buildings is already here and waiting for you to take advantage of.

Yup, this is what I'm working on. It's truly remarkable where the future of this industry is heading and I'm thankful every day that I get to be a part of it and share my passion with you.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]