Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

It's All There

Well, the MEP engineering firm just left and the principal stopped in my office to thank me for the great training my techs did for them.  We were looking at model of an HVAC system and he said the most profound thing.  He said "It's all there".  I asked him if when working in CAD, had they ever created a set of documents with everything.  He said "no, that's impossible, there are too many things in the building."

So, what do you get with BIM that you don't get with CAD?  Everything.  The complete system.  There's no faking it with Revit.  Either you know how to design an plumbing, electrical, HVAC or fire protection system or you don't.  Once it's all there, you can go on to the next project and not get bogged down in RFIs and field administration.  

Welcome to "the end of the line!"

2 comments:

pjarmstrong April 28, 2010 at 8:17 PM  

My school will be teaching RevitMEP Spring 2011. Meanwhile, I'm doing the tutorials and plan to throw MEP sheets into my final project for graduation this Spring. Haven't shown him those in the check sets yet........ wait for it!

Tammy,  April 29, 2010 at 9:36 AM  

I'm pleased to see that a MEP Principal is on board. Being on the electrical construction side, it would be nice to get models first instead of me recreating them.

As far as black vs. white, I didn't tell our other techs that there was an option to use black. I explained that this way there is no doubt in their minds that they are using a different software and need to think differently.

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]