Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Thursday, May 27, 2010

The BIM metamorphosis begins


Just like in nature, the transformation from CAD to BIM starts with a long hibernation. For you it was the recession. For my little black, yellow and white lined Monarch caterpillers, it was weeks of munching on milkweed plants.

As they grew fat on all of the plants, many of you had more work than you could handle before the recession. As it in the nature of BIM, now is the time that you must start the conversion to BIM firms, unless you want to crawl slowly forever.

You can argue with me all you want about CAD vs BIM, but you cannot argue with the forces of nature.

To those of you who think this is all corny, well, I have the honor of watching all of this through the eyes of my 2 year old. I don't know of too many things more intriguing than what comes next for the caterpillars. Where the heck do those wings come from?

Next Friday, I have another honor, that of being on a BIM panel for a McGraw-Hill conference in Fort Lauderdale. It's going to be really cool. First we have a presentation from Steve Jones, one of the BIM leaders who runs the McGraw-Hill Construction division. After that, I'm part of the panel that includes an architect, engineer, contractor and subcontractor. The topic will be how we all use BIM and how it makes us all money.

While on a conference call yesterday with Steve, he mentioned the word "Interoperability" in our discussion of BIM and the construction industry. It got me thinking about the current state of things and another new word popped into my BIM brain.

Let me start with the definition. The result of poorly coordinated CAD construction documents and the resulting conflicts, clashes, costs and delays. The word is "Interrupterability". It's all about the interruption of the flow of information, construction and problems relating to not using BIM.

It's ironic that as I write this, Transformers is on TV. Will you transform into a BIMwit? I certainly hope so. Otherwise, why would you bother reading this?

Hopefully, some of you reading this are in South Florida and can attend the conference next Friday from 8:30 to 11:30.  There are some great prize giveaways from the sponsors including 3 days of Navisworks training from my company.

BIM Conference Flyer  


0 comments:

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]