Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Friday, June 11, 2010

Arch | Tech: Phil Read is awesome #AIA2010

I just wanted to take a moment and thank Phil Read for the hour long conversation yesterday at AIA convention. I just want to tell the world, that Phils is brilliant, a true BIM visionary and I am in awe of the things he's done.

It's a shame that some people don't appreciate the things we say and blog about. One of the things about social media tools like Twitter and blogs is that there is no control by any entity about the words, ideas and conversations that transpire here. If you don't agree with it, walk away, close the window, unsubscribe or do whatever you want, but our BIM battle goes on day after day. It's all for the greater good of technology, architecture, engineering, construction and making the world a better place. It's not about a quarter or the price of a stock.

Someone yesterday said that the best and safest way to transmit building information and ensure that future generations of building designers, occupants and facility managers was papyrus. It's been around for thousands of years and paper will be around for a lot longer than some software programs. It was in a class about BIM and they discussed PDFs, IFCs and some other mediums to which may or may not be around.

It's funny having a conversation with Phil who worked as a consultant for Revit Technology Corporation and then talking to someone who recommend storing everything on paper. Quite the BIM bookends.

Anyway...BUY PHIL'S BOOK! I can't wait for it to come out and just want to personally thank Phil for his awesomeness and etherial conversation and random blog conversations. It's made me wonder. Do I write my blog for me or for you? The answer is, it's actually both. I enjoy writing, researching, expanding my BIM horizons and the blog has given me the ability to have conversations with people I never would have been able to under any normal circumstances.

Phil. Thank you for being you. I appreciate you and I hope everyone else does as well. Now go buy his book!

Preorder Now And Save!

Preorder Now And Save!
Actually - this is the real cover! Finally! Sweet!



Arch | Tech: Phil Read is awesome

Honestly - or at least today - I mean that.
Part of the glorious job of book writing is updating all 231 sample Revit files we include with the book for the reader's general edification. That is Open > Save > Close. Rinse. Wash. Repeat. It's kinda boring and took me a couple glasses of wine to complete.

In that process, I came across the image below which is what you see when you open one of the several files Phil included in his chapter on stairs and railings. If you don't get it, he created monorails and elevated train cars using stair railings. Did you get that? With stair railings.

I am so freakin' beyond impressed. I might actually read that chapter.



1 comments:

Tina Murphy,  June 11, 2010 at 7:59 AM  

I Agree

Those of us at HNTB who have had the fortune of working with Phil Read and his group think he is pretty awesome too.

Tina Murphy

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]