Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

BIM Procrastination and bidding

Here's something that's a first for me.  I just got off the phone with a wall and ceiling contractor.  There was a blurb hidden in the GC's general conditions that BIM may be required of the subcontractor.  The chief estimator called me up asking for a price to included in their bid.

I'll preface this by saying, I didn't read the bid scope of work, contractors documents, didn't see the plans and in 20 questions, found out it's a 3 story, 45,000 square foot building with 7 types of ceilings.  

We were now down to 11 minutes before the bid.  How does one price up something like that for a modeling job?  Thankfully, ceilings are relatively easy in Revit so I asked him how many rooms there were.  I came up with a time to model each room and we threw a number at it.  

This is no way to bid BIM buildings and there needs to be a better way for GCs to standardize bid packages, requirements, etc.  Of course, we have a BIM Execution Plan that we give to contractors we work with to help them make this easier for their subcontractors.  It looks like more and more GCs are requiring BIM fabrication drawings.  That suits me just fine and we're geared up for that internally and with some great partners.  


We're heading down an interesting road with BIM for contractors and I can't wait for the day where everyone in the construction industry is 100% BIM savvy.  It's interesting that it was missed by the estimating team on the bid I helped with.  Perhaps the estimator didn't know what a BIM is and ignored it. 

0 comments:

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]