Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Thursday, November 18, 2010

COAA Cola

I must say that I had the most amazing day of my life today.  It was right up there with the time I spent at BIM Forum.  I want to personally thank all of the people I spent time with today at COAA for listening to me talk about BIM and the AEC industry.  

My day started out watching an IPD presentation by Disney Imagineering. It ended with me talking to the director of construction for a power company.  Ever talk to a guy who builds nuclear power plants and discuss the pros and cons of a properly constructed building with no defects.  I asked him if they do any smart building controls on the buildings.  He said no, they didn't.  My response?..."Of course not. Why do you care. You don't have to pay the electric bill."  That bookended the day that started out with Disney talking about their energy use of their properties.  What a truly amazing day.  

I'm surprised there were so few architects at the conference.  There were a few, but they were all architects who worked for schools and other owners.  I asked one of them, why their entity had to hire an in house architect to monitor what their outsourced architects were doing.  Does that make any sense to you?  

At the end of the day, all of these conversations had nothing to do with software, but more to do with mindset, workflow, process and coordination.  Of course, the technology that you're using has a major impact on the results of the construction process. 

Do you know how much it costs an owner to require BIM on all of their future projects?  Answer: Zero.  Ouch.

In other related news, Autodesk Reports 14 Percent Year Over Year Revenue Growth, http://news.autodesk.com/news/autodesk/20101118006807/en. 
Nah...couldn't be related in any way.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]