Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Monday, January 17, 2011

A few comments about BIM and BIMMER and today's BIM conversations.

Well, it's a slow BIM news day, but I certainly can't go without a post or three.  Now, on to some housekeeping. 
In yesterday's post, A license to BIM, I got 3 comments to the post.  Guys, this is the most responses I've gotten to one post.  Although I'd like to thank the three of you for your responses, the license plate was on a Toyota, not a BMW.  The owner of the car, does work at a Revit firm.  Yes, I do know that Bimmer and Beemer refer to BMWs.  Did you really think I didn't know that? I just thought it was cool to see a license plate that said BIMMER on it.  I have thought about changing my REVIT 3D license plate for BIMMER on my owner car.  Ironic, because I'm leasing a BMW and I've thought that the concept of BIM on my license plate would be lost on everyone seeing me on the road with BIMMER on it. It's only you faithful readers that would understand my obsession with BIM and appreciate it.  I'd have to rename my domain, Revit3D.com, get new license plates, coffee mugs, t-shirts and more, so, for the moment.  I'm putting that idea on hold. 
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Bimmer is a slang word used by BMW user. See wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW#BMW_slang and http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/reference/Bimmer-Beemer.aspx
January 17, 2011 8:30 AM
Delete
Blogger Shisler said...
I don't want to burst your bubble but was this license plate on a BMW?
January 17, 2011 8:45 AM
Delete
Anonymous Anonymous said...
This does not stand for BIM. It is enthusiast slang for BMW cars.
January 17, 2011 1:34 PM

 Next up, from yesterday's post,
The Great Jobs Project: Pursuing dream, architect moved to Florida and lost his job - The Story of John Pierzchala, I got a phone call from John.  We had a very nice conversation and I've offered to have him take our Revit class for free.  Randy, we did talk about the "latest architectural programs" he's been studying.  How did I phrase it to him? I think I said, John, we have a bet going that when you referenced the "latest" software, you were referring to Revit, or AutoCAD 2006.  
 
Well, guess what?  He is actually practicing with Revit.  It's the 2009 version, but yeah, it's Revit.  It's funny, because he said before that he was using Architectural Desktop.  I know what you're thinking.  Everyone uses Architectural Desktop, but as 99% AutoCAD only.  Well, John really surprised me when he said that they fully implemented it.  Constructs, 3D modeling and even the keynote and detailing features.  Ladies and gentlemen, this is truly a first for me.  I've never met or spoken to anyone who's 100% used the features of ADT.  

Yes, he likes Revit better, so we're all safe.  I also made a LinkedIn profile for him, in case anyone wants to interview him for a job.  It's http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnpierzchala. 
There's not much there, but it's a way for him to start getting connected.  I hope this helps.

Lastly, today I got a phone call from an architect who took a Revit class at a 2 year college.  They asked him about their intent to become a 4 year school and what would he recommend about AutoCAD vs Revit for their curriculum.  Well, we spent a hour talking about the past 28 years, from hand drafting to BIM, the past, the present and the future.  It was a very open and passionate conversation between the two of us and luckily, he's been on board with the whole BIM thing from the first day of his Revit class.  That's very unusual for a principal at an architecture firm.  

It's funny how you put so much emphasis on line weights, hatch patterns, fonts, layers and colors to make the blueprints look so perfect, while it's raining all over the blueprints.  What do I mean?  All of those clouds on the plans.  It looks like a rainstorm.  You put a little cloud around something and hope that the contractor can figure out exactly what is different in this picture.  At least use a different color ink or something to make the scavenger hunt easier.  

Another topic we discussed was that if the recession ended tomorrow and every architectural firm in the world got 3 brand new projects, what would happen.  Would you do it in AutoCAD?  Would you switch to Revit, pay for training and new computers?  Where would you go to hire Revit designers?  How much would you offer them?  All of the best Revit people have all moved over to the construction side where they're making double what they made in architecture.  Yup.  Big problem on the BIM front.  Lack of resources.  

So, that was my day.  Maybe tomorrow I'll talk about the owner of a plumbing firm that called me up to do their BIM coordination modeling on a football stadium.  Yes, I accepted the project while being a BIMMER in the Bimmer.  Where are you on the road to BIM?

1 comments:

fishandchips January 20, 2011 at 12:43 PM  

I get why you rave about Revit (it's pretty cool, at least the concept is, which is why Autodesk bought them out) and why you equate Autocad to manual drafting, (which is literally all it is, only slightly better) but I think you should differentiate between Autocad and its vertical offshoots, Architecture and MEP. Some of you readers may not appreciate the difference between the engine and the supercharger.
Also I see you offer revit modeling as a service, so we are in competition (I guess)but don't hesitate to reach out on a collaborative basis.

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]