Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Friday, February 11, 2011

Be a part of something bigger - #BIM is problem solving and TIME

I was just reading an article about salaries, job happiness and loyalty.

It got me thinking. Last week, everyone was talking about the Superbowl, well at least about the commercials.  With it being a world record with 111 million people watching it, we have something that connects all of us.

When Apple releases a new iPhone or iPad, there are thousands of people around the country who go stand in line 24 hours before it goes on sale and that becomes a news story.  Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and blogs all connect us together.  After all, you, yes you, reading this right now, are connected to my thoughts because as I'm writing this, I'm thinking about you reading this.  I have no idea who you are, yet, you've been reading my blog for a while.  How is it that you are inside my head and I'm thinking about you as an individual, yet I have no idea who you are, where you are or anything else about you.  Yet, as you're reading this, we're still connected and sharing this thought.  Pizza.  Fresh out of the oven.  You can see the hot cheese oozing over the crust.  It looks delicious, doesn't it.  Cool huh?  I just put a vision in your head, and probably made your mouth water wanting a slice of pizza.  I bet you have to go and have pizza for lunch today.  Can I possibly tilt the world and make a million people crave a slice of pizza?  

Is this marketing?  Is it manipulative?  Is it just two people connecting with a single thought?  I have no idea.  From the article I was reading about loyalty, it's interesting to watch the world of technology.  Most of you use 5% of the technology in front of you.  Personally, I'm one of those 85% people who's obsessed with gadgets, technology and all things electronic.  I love watching JR using his iTouch and I'm fascinated in how he knows what buttons to push to play a game, yet he can't even read yet.  How the heck does that happen?  Is it crazy that I want to give a 3 year old my iPad when the new one comes out in April?  Absolutely not.  The books, learning tools, music, Thomas the Train games and videos are amazing in how they help him learn.  Did you ever think of how much time it takes to teach your child everything you know?  It's an impossible task.  Now, technology can't replace a hug, but if used properly, can help inspire, educate and nuture creativity.

This all brings me to BIM. I feel horrible that I had to miss BIM Forum this week because of conflicting events.  After attending the last BIM Forum in Atlanta last September, it was amazing to be connected with so many other like minded people.  BIM is definitely part of something bigger in the AEC industry.  It's a program, a tool, a process, a workflow, a collaborative effort, a sharing of information, all rolled into one.  It's really quite basic.  BIM is problem solving.  It's taking information, sharing it with others, and finding a solution to a problem.  
 
What is that problem? How do we design, engineer, estimate, construct and manage a building with the least amount of money, effort, problems, coordination, conflicts, delays and  stress.  We know that CAD doesn't do it.  We know that every construction project in the world has problems with the lack of information on the construction drawings.  I don't care how much you say that 2D and CAD is all you need.  Unless you've done a project without one RFI on it, you're lying to yourself and you don't realize the problems you're creating for others and the problems you have.

BIM is part of something bigger.  It's bigger than Autodesk, it's bigger than the AIA, AGC and USGBC.  It's bigger than anything that's happened in the last 28 years.  It's about teamwork.  How many times have you refused to give your DWGs to the contractor because of "liability" or "intellectual property".  Then, after that, how many RFIs did you get slammed with on that project.  How much did that cost you in extra time that you didn't budget for.  How did you find the time to deal with all of those RFIs and conflicts and how did you make up that time.

Ah.  BIM is about Time. Or.."Its about time" you got BIM.  
 Technology • Information • Management • Efficiency.  Do you like that?  Here's something funny.  I just said to myself, om my gosh, I have to have that as a domain name, BIMtime.com.  I go and Google it and damn it, someone already registered the domain.  As it's opening up, and I can't believe this myself, it opens up to my blog.  How crazy is that.  I had already registered BIMtime.com and didn't even remember it.  Of course, when I registered it, I had no idea i would have uncoveverd the acronym I just did.

BIM....It's about Time!  I like it.  What do you think?  Isn't it about time you got serious about BIM?  Isn't that what 4D is all about?  Time, the schedule, phasing and reducing delays?  

Let's close with a little algebra.  2D x 2 = 4D.  Double the Ds, Double the Dollars you can make. Have a BIMtiful day.

2 comments:

fishandchips February 11, 2011 at 11:00 AM  

so basically it's all just a "time-bim" waiting to explode in the 2d world. time-bim.com anyone?

Ian Nichols February 14, 2011 at 4:11 AM  

Great post! Yes, it is definitely something much bigger than the sum of its parts.

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]