Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Thursday, April 21, 2011

BIMillionare - #BIM #IPD #AIA #REVIT #MILLION

Well, today's the magic day.  It seems only yesterday I hit 1 million. 

At some point during today, April 21st, 2011, one of you had the honor of having the 2 millionth view of my blog.   It seems so long ago when I started a little website called BIMwit.com which was born on May 8th 2006.  It was in August of that year that I was introduced to blogs (actually at an Autodesk leadership conference) and I made my first actual blogpost on January 1st, 2007.

Below is that post.  I can't believe that over 4 years later, I still have the energy and the drive to keep posting.  Many have asked me how I manage to keep the blog up to date, and to be perfectly honest with you, I don't know how I do it either.  I go through periods of exhaustion, boredom, annoyance and back to passion again.  I just can't stop now. 

I've absorbed so much information, wisdom and insight from all of my research and conversations over the last 6 years, that I think I've forgotten more than I remember at this point about BIM. 

Here are a few thoughts about BIM.

There’s a crisis in the profession
It is often repeated that BIM is 10% technology 90% sociology
If that’s the case, why is 90% of the energy and resources focused on the technology?

Its focus is on people, relationships, and workflow. 
The way people behave in response to new technology, however, does not change.
the number one problem of BIM : not technology, but personality
... this mindset requires collaboration, coordination, team work, and knowledge sharing in order to succeed. 



 The above words are not my thoughts.  They are from my friend Randy who wrote them in his latest blog post, http://bimandintegrateddesign.com/2011/04/20/why-bring-another-book-into-this-world/

When I look at what Randy wrote today and then below what I wrote over 4 years ago, When I was talking to Randy a few weeks ago, we were talking about my blog post that week, BIM Quote? Fear!   Randy had mentioned to me how he loved that the post had a beginning, a middle and an end to it and how he couldn't come up with another item of fear.  He said that I did what most bloggers don't do, and that's make a complete thought and leave nothing out of the conversation.  I laughed and told him that it certainly was not my intent to write a blog post that had a beginning, middle and end to it, but that it was just my random thoughts. 

Randy, I don't know how you managed to write an actual book about this stuff, so your words and efforts are truly appreciated and your efforts shall make you world famous.  I am honored to know you and the other BIM bloggers and BIM rock stars.  I swear this was all one big accident.  I never intended to write a blog about BIM.  I never asked for this responsibility, pressure or fathomed the breadth of topics and conversations that would result from it.

I certainly never imagined that I would be sitting here tonight writing this knowing that my words have been seen 2 million times. That also means that my son, JR, has been seen by a lot of people around the world.  I hope that he doesn't freak out when he figures out how I made him a part of the blog for such a long time.



I don't know how many of you reading this have been here since January 28th, 2008, but we've all grown a lot in that time frame.  At this point, I'm just kind of rambling, but I hope that my words and my passion for BIM, people and technology have had a positive effect on your life and your job.  I'd love to know how my posts have helped you.  Randy gets to measure his feedback by how many copies of his book get read.  My feedback comes from having hit the 2 million view mark and also from hearing back from you. 

Well, I'm going to end this post with the beginning.  Here's my very first post.  I think I've definitely found a few more of the puzzle pieces.  That just brings up the thought that doing BIM is like doing a jigsaw puzzle in the dark and wearing gloves.  Eventually, you figure it out and the puzzle gets solved. 

Thank you, whoever you are, that got me to the 2 million mark today.  Hopefully, you'll be coming back here for years to come...and maybe someday, every architect and engineer in the world will be using Revit.  That will be the day I can stop writing the blog.  But, as technology tends to do to us, I'm sure there will be something else to write about whenever that moment happens.

~Gregory


Monday, January 1, 2007

Welcome

Welcome to the wonderful world of Revit and BIM.
The theme of this website is "Pieces of the Puzzle"

Each person, software program, technology and method of communication is a "Piece of the Puzzle." Stop being puzzled and use these pieces to create a solution to the woes of the construction industry.

Together, we are all part of the solution. Choosing the best software, collaboration tools, training and implementation. Communicating better. Working in 3D not 2D. Sharing the Building Information Modeling (BIM) data with each other. Have you ever worked on a jigsaw puzzle for days and wind up with that one missing piece? In the construction industry, you and Revit are that missing piece. You're here now and you're here for a reason.

This website will educate you in several ways:

  • Creating an encyclopedia of resources about Revit Building, Revit Structure and Revit Systems.
  • Information for Architects, Engineers, Contractors, Owners and Facility Managers
  • The connection of Revit to various other products, industries and flow of information
  • A guide on why to get Revit and how to convince others in and out of your firm to jump on the BIM bandwagon.
  • Offer students a way to get free Revit training and job placement.
  • Lastly, just to expose you to my passion for this incredible line of products and construction industry solutions.




0 comments:

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]