Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Too much information #BIM #CAD #IPD - BIMformation Overload

I was just having a conversation with a customer and he said the most profound thing to me that I heard all day.

People are overloaded with information.  

They can't find what they need, when they need it.

That got me thinking about BIM and the "I" of the BIM Storm.

So what is the solution to this problem?  Is BIM the answer?  When you consider that BIM is an accumulation of aggregated data that continues through the design, construction and maintenance timeline, I think the answer is definitely BIM.

But, what about the specific tools then?  Is the answer a design tool, an authoring tool, a storage tool, a collaboration tool or a management tool.

The answer is all of them.  Of course, it's all dependent on your needs, your workflow, processes and project team.  The reality is that everyone uses something different.  Just a few months ago, I had a Dell Precision laptop, a Droid X telephone and an iPad. Each has it's own operating system, method of storing and retrieving data and technological advantages and disadvantages.

But, because I use Sugarsync, Evernote, Google Apps Premiere (primarily Google Mail and Google Docs) and Buzzsaw, I had everything at my fingertips instantly.  With that kind of accessibility to al of the information that bombards me in my life, it really is the bridge that connects me to my clients and prospects in my vision and drive to help you in your lives.

A box of software is useless unless someone with experience can show you how to use it to your advantage.  BIM is powered by people.  So was CAD, but why do in 2 steps what you can do in 1? 

It's going to get worse.  As you're "forced" to move to BIM, LEED, IPD, VDC & FM, you're going to have to provide a lot more information.  It's not about lines and layers anymore.  It's about creating a digital recreation of the actual building with all of the information needed to manage the building.

If you don't have enough time and too much information to deal with now, can you imagine what's going to happen in your future? 

Oh, one more thing.  How are you going to share all of that information with your project team?  You got a problem.  I have the solution.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]