Source: Upgrading Revit Server 2011 to 2012 - The Revit Clinic
I wanted to include the recommended process for upgrading a Revit Server from 2011 to 2012:
- Ensure all users close out of Revit and any local or central projects they have open on the client workstations.
- Apply a server-level administrative lock on the Central Server you will be upgrading to Revit Server 2012. Lock the server name at the top of the tree:
Process is located here.
- Uninstall Revit Server 2011 from the Windows Server Control Panel.
- Determine the Project and Cache directories in use for Revit Server.
- Install Revit Server 2012 on the Windows Server. Process for Central Server is located here. Process for Local Server is located here.
- Specify the same Project and Cache folder locations used for Revit 2011.
- When the installation is complete unlock the administrative lock. Process is located here.
- Once the Central and all Local Servers are updated to Revit Server 2012, users can launch Revit from the client workstations.