Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

#BIM - Getting Over The Hill

I was driving to work yesterday like every other day, except I made an observation I hadn't before.


I actually first learned about this from my brother in 1977. It was only yesterday I made the connection to BIM and you. Every time I-95 intersects with a major road, the highway goes up and over the street. For a very flat part of our country, aside from garbage dumps, they're the only hills we have.

When you going up the hill/road, there is always more traffic than normal. Why? Because you have no idea what's lying ahead of you on the other side of the hill. If you continue at your normal rate of speed, there could be a traffic accident and you would crash right into the stopped traffic.

So, we slow down, create more traffic, and speed up when the coast is clear. There is a little secret to all of this. Just look ahead. The car at the top of the hill either has its brake (funny, I wrote break at first, as if if you don't push the pedal, your car will break into pieces) lights on or it doesn't. If it doesn't, since that car is the only one that can see what's on the other side of the hill, you will know by that communication with others, what lies ahead (or what they'll lie about ahead if they're not paying attention).

If everyone paid attention to the brake lights of the car five cars ahead of them, traffic would flow much smoother and there would be much fewer accidents.

How does all of this relate to Revit and BIM? Learning Revit and the BIM process is like driving up that hill. You will slow down. There will be traffic up ahead. You will not know what is on the other side of the hill. Once you get up the hill, it will be smooth sailing as your forward momentum and gravity allows you to speed up. You have to go slower up the hill not knowing where you're going and what obstacles lie in front of you, hidden from sight (and jobsite).

Those unknowns create potential hazards, accidents and roadblocks. The BIM highway is much faster than those CAD roads. Going faster does get you to your destination much faster. With the increased speed could come accidents, but if you pay attention to what's ahead, it's a much more enjoyable ride.

There are many obstacles (other cars, drivers, potholes) on every road. Are there more accidents on the highway than small streets? I can tell you that many CAD users are on a one way street that is a dead end, but that's their problem.

So, hop on into your AutoBIMmobile and head on down that BIM superhighway. As long as you have insurance (by having a support system with a company like mine www.caddcenters.com), you should have no worries and enjoy getting their faster in a much nicer vehicle.

Vroom Vroom Beep Beep.

Addendum: Once, while driving on the highway, I randomly passed my father. He called me from his cellphone and said to me, "you're speeding". I responded, "well, then get out of my way".

2 comments:

randydeutsch September 20, 2011 at 9:17 AM  

Gregory,
Nice post - excellent analogy - can definitely relate. Keep sharing these great insights!
Randy

Nuno Pacheco September 20, 2011 at 1:18 PM  

Thanks Gregory:

You know! You have been the "car ahead of mine" since the last two years (or more) that I heve been reading your post's here.
It's my way (or my insurence) to prevent accidents in my BimRevit Road!

Best Regards
Nuno Pacheco (pt)

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]