Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Great new book: BIM and Integrated Design: Strategies for Architectural Practice by Randy Deutsch (...and me, Gregory Arkin)

BUY THIS BOOK NOW!  Amazon link: available in hard cover and Kindle edition.
Amazon.com: BIM and Integrated Design: Strategies for Architectural Practice (9780470572511): Randy Deutsch: Books





Randy, I'm sorry for taking so long to publish this post.  I guess I'm still in shock.  For the rest of the world reading this, I am humbled and honored to be listed in the acknowledgements of this incredible new book by Randy Deutsch.


From the day I started writing my blog 4 years ago and through the writing of this post, I still have no idea what actually compels me to keep blogging and searching for answers about design, construction and technology benefits and failures.  I'm trying to understand why.  Why is the construction industry so mired in paperwork.  Why have so few architects adopted BIM. Why don't people "get it". Why do we even bother trying to convince people to invest in BIM.  Why isn't every owner demanding BIM. 


I never expected to have my name printed in a real book.  Sure, my name is all over the internet, google, blogs and tweets, but real live print?  Wow!  What's more astounding is to be nestled among such names as Vandezande, Kron, Aubin, Handler, Stafford, Reed, Khemlani, Smith, Onuma and Salmon (as well as all of the others listed below).


Having my name listed amongst all these BIM superstars is quite an honor and has given my renewed energy to keep being a BIM evangelist and thank goodness I didn't listen to the naysayers out in the world and even in my own company who just don't get what BIM is all about.  It's not about technology, it's about people.  Randy has written a brilliant book about this and I really recommend you buy it or download it immediately.  


I'll even make you a deal.  I'm going to give away a copy of the book.  Fill out this little form (at this link) and I'll have a random drawing from one of the people who enters the contest.  


From the book:  http://www.amazon.com/BIM-Integrated-Design-Strategies-Architectural/dp/0470572515/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1



The next most exciting thing was that Randy actually quoted me in the book...and on page 7.  I made the first chapter.  I just had to spend 5 minutes going back to the root of all of this and see where it all started.

On July 10, 2009, I wrote a blog post, BIM adoption rate exceeds 80% among nation’s largest AEC firms, in response to an article I read the day before.
 Building Design+Construction’s first annual Top 170 BIM Adopters ranking, published as part of the 2009 Giants 300 survey. Of the 320 AEC firms that participated in Giants survey, 83% report having at least one BIM seat license in house, half have more than 30 seats, and nearly a quarter (23%) have 100-plus seats. In total, the Giants hold 28,174 BIM seats, with the average firm having 106 seats.As expected, design firms are the biggest adopters of BIM, representing 48 of the top 50.

In my second sentence of my response to the above survey, I wrote,
"Just because a firm has seats of Revit doesn't necessarily mean they're using Revit actively". 

Why did I write that?  Because I knew that firms were buying Revit as part of a suite that was cheaper than upgrading AutoCAD and they would never really adopt it from because of fear and misunderstanding. 

 Did I ever expect that on July 16, 2009, Jeff Yoders of the same publication, would write an article called  “Losing Your BIM Virginity and the Giants 300", (Building Design and Construction (blog), July 16, 2009, www.bdcnetwork.com), and would actually write an article around my quote?  

I remember getting a phone call from Joe Guzman of Autodesk early on the 17th and him saying to me, "what's this about you losing your viriginity?"  I asked him what the heck he was talking about and he told me about Jeff's article.  

Of course, that led to me writing my blog post, http://bimboom.blogspot.com/2009/07/losing-your-bim-virginity-and-giants.html about Jeff's blog post about my blog post, http://bimboom.blogspot.com/2009/07/bim-adoption-rate-exceeds-80-among.html, that I'm posting about now after being published about the posts in Randy's book.


Randy, thank you for your friendship, your wisdom, your inspiration and for quoting me in your book and at BIM Forum in Chicago in front of 500 contractors.  I now am inspired to write my own book about BIM.  How I'll find the time to do that I have no idea, but it is my goal to help change the world of the AEC industry and continue to be in the circle of BIM thought leadership.


Now, enter the contest to win a copy of this book ( link) and if you can't wait and buy the book now, and win the contest, I'll reimburse you for the book (that's for the one winner, not everyone).  


One last thing.  Since I'm not famous and a thought leader on BIM, if it makes no difference to you, would you please buy your Autodesk software from me instead of whatever reseller you're currently using?  I promise to make it worth your while and we're all in this together, so since your salesperson doesn't really give much back to  you in terms of information or BIM knowledge, the more customers I have, the more time I can spend providing you quality BIMformation.  Thanks.


Excerpt:


Deutsch, Randy (2011-08-15). BIM and Integrated Design: Strategies for Architectural Practice (Kindle Locations 1268-1269). John Wiley and Sons. Kindle Edition. 
Page 7:



0 comments:

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]