Yesterday my technical manager gave my sales manager a new computer. He didn't have time to set everything up, as he was in the middle of configuring our new server so we bought so we can do some neat new things like play with Revit Server.
Anyway, my sales manager was a little frustrated because he was missing some stuff that he had on his laptop. I told him I'd give him 5 minutes and see what I could do. I'm telling you this story so you'll do the same thing immediately because you shouldn't cry over lost data.
1. I immediately downloaded Chrome and told IE to screw off.
2. I installed Last Pass in Chrome, he logged in and had all of his saved and secure passwords back. Last Pass will keep track of all of your passwords, automatically log you into to websites and syncs between computers, IOS and Android devices and each browser you may use.
3. I installed SugarSync. Immediately all of his documents from his old computer's desktop and documents folders came back, as well as a few other synced folder locations. SugarSync (available here for 5gb free account) will back up any folder on your computer, back it up to the cloud with 5 previous versions saved of each file and allow you to sync files between any of your computers, IOS and Android devices.
4. I installed Xmarks. Xmarks backs up all of your browser bookmarks and allows you to sync them between different browsers, computers, IOS and Android devices. So, instantly, all of his bookmarks showed up on the computer.
You know, I'm tired of typing that same sentence over and over. I'm amazed that each of these programs I use on a daily basis allows for me to stay totally synchronized and never have to worry about where a document or bit of information is. I have complete portability and peace of mind.
5. I installed Evernote in his computer. Instantly, all of his saved notes and tasks showed back up. I also installed the evernote web clipper for Chrome. Evernote syncs all of your notes and other clipped items between all of your computers, IOS and Android devices.
6. Lastly, in Chrome, I logged into his google account and instantly all of his Chrome extensions showed back up.
7. Since we use Google Apps Premiere, there's nothing to configure for email since he's using the web based client and doesn't bother with Outlook since it's so slow. As a side note, I often meet people with an AOL, Comcast, AT&T or other internet provider email address that they use for their business account. Did you ever think what would happen if you moved to a different internet provider? Well, you'd lose that email address. Get a gmail account and you can have it pull in all of the mail from your other account. You can still keep the old address, but easily migrate to the new one.
All of this took less than 5 minutes and everything from the old computer showed up on the new computer.
Here are all of the download links. If you value information and data, you'll do all of this immediately. Personally, I was so impressed with how all of his stuff came back instantly. It's amazing how cloud syncing and backup has really changed our lives. If you value your time and information, then you'll see how valuable these time saving information syncing tools are.
• Click here to Subscribe to the blog via daily email updates for the BIM news you don't want to miss.