Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Autodesk University 2011 Countdown and BIM thoughts


I've been slacking on my own blog posts lately and I'll explain in a few days, hopefully during AU.  If I only had more time.  I hope everyone who reads my blog who's attending AU will try to find me and say hello.  I'll be the guy with the Revit3D license plate logo on my badge.  First stop will be the blogger's social on Monday night.

I was just corresponding with Luke Johnson, avid blogger of What Revit Wants and I can't believe his firm didn't have a budget to send hi to AU.  With all of Luke's hard work, it's a shame that architectural principals don't appreciate their BIM champions who go above and beyond and reward them for their hard work.

I foresee this being a problem as BIM expands its reach.  We're going to shift from 'you should be happy you have a job' to 'I'm begging you not to quit and get a job with that big fancy contractor looking for seasoned BIM people.  Just tell me how much of a raise I have to give you to keep you.  Don't you know there aren't any Revit people around with your qualifications and I can't afford to lose you' speech.

Hopefully, you'll hear those words sooner than later at your firm.  Don't they realize you don't need as many people in a fully BIM firm and paying you more pays for itself?  Should AU be included in your salary and benefits package?  Is your firm serious about your growth and knowledge expansion?  Are they serious about BIM?  Do they appreciate what you do with BIM?  Soon enough you Revit gurus will have all of the leverage and you might as well go work for a GC now and get that big pay raise.


___________________________________________________________________________________________________________  

• Click here to Subscribe to the blog via daily email updates for the BIM news you don't want to miss.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2 comments:

Thomas Whisker November 27, 2011 at 11:15 AM  

I agree with yo on that one Gregory. Architecture firms are not the best business people (I am from the business world AND a licensed architect). There needs to be more proactive work at looking forward to make your firm profitable. It's not about every hour and minute being billable. Hopefully with time as we move forward in BIM, architecture firms will begin to look ahead just as contractors do.

Anonymous,  November 30, 2011 at 11:40 PM  

from Houston with love,
This little piggy (BIM GURU) is about to make the cross-over. It's about to start happening. Good thing I minored in CM ;p $$$$$$

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]