Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Revit Ruler - Download this RFA family for 3D measurements and ADA compliance

Late Friday afternoon, we had our ADA consultant in the office reviewing a Revit mock up of a hospital room for a project we're designing.  There were some questions about the design of some cabinetry and the height requirements.

The consultant had never seen Revit before and he was very impressed with seeing the room in 3D.  He was telling the architect that there needed to be 27" height clearance by code.  One of the issues with Revit is that when you're in 3D, you can't easily see measurements.

That gave me an idea.  I asked some of the modelers in our BIM department about my idea and no one had ever heard of such a thing.  So, I spent the weekend developing a Revit family.  It took a while as the first few iterations were over 2MB.  I thought I had one made at 400 KB, but it didn't really suit my needs.

I tried extruding numbers into a generic family model.  I tried model text and model lines to show dimensions.  I finally settled on what you see below to get the file to be a little over 1MB.

Essential, I built a 10 foot high measuring stick.  It has notches for each inch and I used a dice theme for the numbers to minimize the extrusion complexities.  I must say that I had no idea what I was doing and I certainly learned a lot about reference planes, copying and extrusions.

I also added an extruded frame around the bottom.  It's 30 inches wide, 27 inches tall and 19 inches deep. Larry, our ADA consultant, says that the minimum requirement for legroom under tables and space needed in bathrooms.  So, you can use this family for that as well.

Linked RFA2012 File: https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D75732_0251934_283061
(Note: Updated at 1:07 pm on 1/16/2012  -  There was a slight configuration error - Don't use old one)

Here;s the Revit 2011 Version: https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D75732_0251934_283414
I don't know how long the link will last, so if you're reading this from the future, email me and I'll send you a copy.

Please let me know what you think of this.  I've never come across anything like this and hopefully, I've invented something new and helpful for all of you.  Feedback is welcome.  RevitRulerFeedback@bimbuilder.com










___________________________________________________________________________________________________________  

• Click here to Subscribe to the blog via daily email updates for the BIM news you don't want to miss.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1 comments:

mamiller January 16, 2012 at 4:50 PM  

with Revit 2012 at least you can add dimensions in a 3d view. One thing you have to do before you add the dimension is make your workplane one of the vertical surfaces.

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]