About 5 minutes after I made my last blog post about finding a Revit specialist, I coincidentally got a phone call from a head hunter looking for a VDC Manager for a large construction company in upstate New York. I've been getting these phone calls for the last 4 years as head hunters are scouring the internet looking to fill these job openings and wind up on my blog.
When someone tells you they're looking for a VDC Manager who has 2 to 5 years experience, that really limits the rest of the conversation because, like I randomly said in the early post, there just aren't the people out there with these skill sets. I feel bad for the head hunters because it's just about impossible to fill these high end BIM positions. Once it's required to have a CM-BIM credential as well, that will really be fun since only 68 people have taken the test in the US.
I offered to put out this blog post to see if maybe someone out there is interested or knows someone for this job. If you're interested or know someone, send an email to email@example.com. I'll forward it on to the head hunter and he'll contact you.
Here's what they're looking for.
Title Virtual Construction Manager
Grade Exempt – Professional 5Reporting Line Reports to: Executive Vice President
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Lead the adoption of VC tools and processes
- Assist project teams with preconstruction services, establish/implement VC procedures and techniques to assure timely modeling
- Work with IT and VC staff in support, maintenance and development of VC standards and 3D CAD tools
- Assist project teams in determining required Subcontractor participation and function as the “Model Administrator” for assigned projects
- Establish/modify project specific VC Guidelines prior to bid or preconstruction services
- Work with Estimating on the use of models for 5D quantity takeoff and pricing
- Support systems in BIM usage for field management
- Assist project teams with review/approval of Subcontractor adherence to VC Guidelines, including model submittal schedule and updates as well as updating of the model(s) to reflect as-built conditions for submittal of the record/set project close-out
- Lead clash detection and RFI resolution with project teams in preconstruction efforts
- Organize/lead meetings for VC coordination with VC Engineers, users and subcontractors
- Implement VC technologies on large-scale construction projects to include 4D scheduling and manpower efforts and using BIM models in conjunction with project schedules and other opportunities
- Advise and assist VC Engineers/users with process and methods as defined by company standards
- Assist with business development and participation in proposals and interviews
Experience & Education Guidelines
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, or Architecture
- Minimum 3 years experience (including supervisory skills) project experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of and direct experience in AudoCAD, Navisworks, Revit, Archicad, Civil 3D, Innovaya, Google SketchUp
- Experience with interoffice collaboration with IT staff, office staff and project staff
- Demonstrated problem-solving ability and strong sense of urgency
- Demonstrated organizational and communication skills
- Demonstrated competency modeling from 2D documents and creating up to Level 200 for structural, architectural, MEP and Civil
- Competency reading floor plans, sections and elevations
- Available to work necessary hours in order to meet project deadlines.
- A strong service-orientation and prior proven success in handling heavy customer service responsibilities, dealing with an internal client base
- A commitment to continual learning and development; the demonstrated ability to rapidly assimilate new information, analyze it appropriately and apply it in new situations as they arise
- Uncompromisable commitment to integrity and ethical behavior
- Competently prioritizes multiple tasks demanding of immediate attention, and to juggle multiple, on-going, concurrent responsibilities
- Successful performance in this position will normally require that the incumbent:
- Sometimes: lift up and up to 20 pounds; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl
- Sometimes: climb and/or balance
- Most of the time: lift up to 10 pounds; stand, walk and sit in combination and/or sequence; use his/her hands to finger, handle and feel and arms to reach; talk and/or hear; have adequate vision for seeing clearly objects both close and at a distance, for using peripheral vision and for accurately interpreting depths
• Join the buildingSMART alliance - National BIM Standards Provider
• Are you getting your CM-BIM credential? Click here for classes and information
• Click here to Subscribe to the blog via daily email updates for the BIM news you don't want to miss.