Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Us vs Them

My wife wants to reskin the cabinets in the kitchen.  Her process was quite simple.  
Take photos of the kitchen.
Open a sketching app on the iPad.
Smudge her finger on the photos to show new colors for cabinets.

You can see the results in the first photo.

Since I had no idea what I was looking at, I did the only thing I knew how to in this sort of situation.  I opened MagicPlan, took pictures of each corner of each room, exported the file as a DXF, imported that into Revit, loaded cabinet families, changed their sizes, applied materials from jpgs my wife found and then brought everything into Showcase for viewing and rendering.

Sure, my way took a little longer, but when the contractor came over with his cabinet guy, my way made it a lot easier for them to figure out what we were looking for.  I'm officially their first customer who made their own renderings and plans for a proposal.

Yes, for you artistic old school types, you're loving the first photo as it's your artistic concept.  But for the rest of us who have no idea what we're looking at, the VDC approach, visualization and accurate colors makes a world of difference.  

 ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________  

• Join the buildingSMART alliance - National BIM Standards Provider
• Are you getting your CM-BIM credential? Click here for classes and information
• Click here to Subscribe to the blog via daily email updates for the BIM news you don't want to miss.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________


0 comments:

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]