Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

IFC...You Later

I've been wanting to get a little more personal in my blog.  Now that I've been working at a technology, er..., architecture firm for almost a year, I've learned a lot of things that I never saw while I was an Autodesk reseller.  My firm, ACAI Associates, Inc., is apparently nothing like a normal architecture firm, because everyone there is happy and passionate.  I never in my life thought I'd ever wind up working with architects every day, but I want to start providing some insight into what I've encountered.

With that, I've been toying with the idea of a BIM Diary.  It's probably the same thing as what I've been doing with my blog for the last 4 years, but at least I feel I'm doing something refreshing. So, here it goes...

Dear BIM Diary,
Yesterday, we had another conversation about where the AECO industry is going.  It's exhausting to keep up with all of the technology. I suppose it's my own fault for every looking at Revit that fateful day in 2005 and seeing automatically generated door schedules and yesterday I wound up researching STEP as part of COBie and IFC.

So, in wanting to see what IFC really gives us, I decided to try an experiment.  I opened up Revit, loaded up the advanced sample model that comes with Revit 2013 and exported it as an IFC.  I still have a way to go to figure out the differences between 2x2, 2x3 and newer future versions and I'm still puzzled about 2D IFC exporting, but I decided to export the 3D model.


After the export completed, I then decided to open a new project in Revit and then open the exported IFC model back in.  It worked great. I only got three errors.  One about cut openings, the 2nd I don't remember offhand and the third one is a charm.  Look at these pictures.

Can anyone explain to me why the slabs are offset on the import?  Why from an Autodesk model, with Autodesk export functionality of IFC, can't a product reimport it's own model back in correctly?  BIM Diary, I know need to spend more time figuring out why this happened and hope my boss doesn't find out that IFC isn't perfect.  Next up, is downloading other vendor's software and see if their products work better than Revit.  Until next time.





 ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________  

• Join the buildingSMART alliance - National BIM Standards Provider
• Are you getting your CM-BIM credential? Click here for classes and information
• Click here to Subscribe to the blog via daily email updates for the BIM news you don't want to miss.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2 comments:

Owen Sharp October 17, 2012 at 11:58 PM  

have you tried the open-source IFC Export plugin for Revit 2013?

Using this exporter I did this same exercise and no slab problems

Laszlo Nagy,  October 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM  

If you try IFC exchange with ArchiCAD, there are some downloadable Add-Ins for Revit Structure and MEP that make the IFC exchange with ArchiCAD smoother:
http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/downloads/interoperability/

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]