Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

3 Million and Counting

It's been a busy few weeks preparing for Autodesk University and all of the peripheral things going on at the office.  I got a little delayed with this post waiting for our press release for the new company.


At some moment in time on October 31st one of you helped me finally hit my 3 millionth page view of my blog.  It's been almost 6 years now since I started my blog, BIMboom.blogspot.com in February of 2007.  I always smile when I think of what a great name I happened to pick, because we are truly experiencing a BIM boom at our company and around the world.  We're looking for more talented and passionate BIM experts, so if you're going to AU, stop by our booth, 1F and introduce yourself.  Otherwise, you can always send me your resume.

0               2/1/2007
1,000,000 4/30/2010  http://bimboom.blogspot.com/2010/05/million-reasons-to-love-bim-revit-live.html
2,000,000 4/21/2011  http://bimboom.blogspot.com/2011/04/bimillionare-bim-ipd-aia-revit-million.html
3,000,000 10/31/2012 ...you are here....

With over 3,800 posts, I'm sad to say that I have 5,351 posts in my drafts folder.  I'll never be able to go through them all and keep adding more information every day with new posts, but I'll keep trying to go through them all.  I feel like a BIMcyclopedia sometimes.

As an interesting coincidence to these milestones, when I hit 1 million, I happened to have gotten my first iPad.  As I'm writing this, I'm restoring all my programs to the iPad mini that I got today. Well, actually, I've had an iPad mini for 11 days, but I traded it in today for the iPad mini with 4G.  Only the wifi models were available.  The mini is so awesome. It's half the weight and the screen is a little smaller, but I'll never use a full size iPad again.  This piece of hardware is exquisite.

I can't believe how much I've learned since getting involved with Autodesk products in 2004.  It's never ending and I can't imagine how a firm new to BIM starts their implementation process on that first project.  Just today, we met with VICO and had an amazing few hours with Ian Turner.  They have some great tools and now we get to invest in and learn another amazing BIM tool. It's interesting that Vico got it's start as part of Graphisoft's Archicad family and was recently purchased by Trimble. What a trip that must have been.

I was so excited during the meeting about all of the amazing 4D and 5D features of the Vico modules, that I completely forgot about the Trimble acquisition and what that will mean for further enhancements of the software.  The model revision tracking is great and the tie in to estimating and scheduling really looks promising.  I can't believe how many different clash detection programs there are out there.  Between Navisworks Manage, VEO, Vico, Tekla BIMsight, Solibri, BIM Glue, Revit and Archicad, how is one supposed to pick the right tool? Who even says that there is only one tool that can do everything you need?  I'll be focusing on those areas as I expand the scope of this blog for the future.

Anyway, because of all of these tools, I've decided to do a little rebranding.  Today, I changed my  Twitter name from Revit3D to BIMbuilder.  I don't want to be tied down to just one piece of software.  The license plate on my car really does say REVIT 3D, but I'm going to rebrand the blog to point to BIMbuilder.com instead of Revit3D.com.  The actual blog, bimboom.blogspot.com is incorporated into both, so that really shouldn't affect anything.

I've been toying with the rebranding, so I think calling the blog BIMbuilder.com is more encompassing to the industry and all of the software vendors.  

Thanks to everyone who continues to read my blog and especially to any of you that have been reading it for all these years.  It's been fun writing and there is so much more that I want to say and areas of BIM that I want to cover.

Don't forget, if you're going to AU this year, you have to stop by our booth and say hello.  If you don't, my boss will make us buy Archicad and we certainly don't want this blog to go that route.

See you next week.





 ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________  

• Join the buildingSMART alliance - National BIM Standards Provider
• Are you getting your CM-BIM credential? Click here for classes and information
• Click here to Subscribe to the blog via daily email updates for the BIM news you don't want to miss.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

0 comments:

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]