- BIM Organizational Strategic Planning to assess existing organizational conditions, align BIM goals and vision, and develop a transition plan to implement BIM;
- BIM Organizational Execution Planning to plan the detailed implementation within the operations of the organization;
- BIM Project Procurement Planning to identify key contractual issues to consider when creating contract requirements and a standard BIM Project Execution Plan template; and
- BIM Project Execution Planning (in BIM Project Execution Planning Guide) for project teams to maximize the value of BIM on a facility construction project.
BIM Planning Guide for Facility Owners
- Defining Standard BIM Processes and Practices: A procedure will be developed to help owners define the most appropriate uses for BIM within their own practices along with identifying the services that they should procure to gain benefit within the design and construction processes.
- Designing Information Integration Strategies: A process will be defined to help owners design specific information exchange requirements for configuring and integrating their facility management systems with the information model. Case studies with owner organizations will illustrate this procedure and document specific methods to move information from the design and construction phases into the information systems maintained by the owner or facility manager.
- Identifying BIM Contract Requirements: Issues that are important to include within the owner's contracts with service providers will be identified and categorized so that the owner can more easily develop their contract requirements. A repository of existing templates and publicly available contract documents will be identified and organized by content approach to provide guidance for owners when defining their minimum BIM needs from a project team.
The Charles Pankow Foundation
US Department of Defense Military Health System
US Department of Veterans Affairs
Penn State Office of Physical Plant
The Partnership for Achieving Construction Excellence (PACE)
Advisory Board Members: Renee Tietjen, US Department of Veterans Affairs; Xiajun Lin, Kaiser Permanente; Robert Braunagel, US Department of Defense Military Health System; Ed Gannon, Penn State Office of Physical Plant; Steve Devitto, General Service Administration; Craig Dubler, Penn State Office of Physical Plant; Greg Gidez, Hensel Phelps; Kimberly Hurtado, Hurtado S.C. Counselors at Law;Steve Hutsell, US Army Corps of Engineers; Kerry Joels, TMA Systems; David Jordani, Jordani Consulting Group; Steve Kundich, Digital Realty; Kurt Maldovan, Balfour Beatty Construction; Russ Manning, US Department of Defense Military Health System; Maureen McDonough, Harvard University; Elton Murakami, Pankow Construction; Dana "Deke" Smith, National Institute of Building Science; Patrick Suermann, US Air Force; Victor Sanvido, Southland Industries; Grace Wang, Jacobs Engineering;
• Join the buildingSMART alliance - National BIM Standards Provider
• Are you getting your CM-BIM credential? Click here for classes and information
• Click here to Subscribe to the blog via daily email updates for the BIM news you don't want to miss.