Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Architect to build home using 3-D printer

Yesterday we attended a seminar on point cloud 3-D scanners. I've been following the scanners and the technology for the last three years so I was very interested to see one live. The demonstration was really cool and it was amazing to see the accuracy of a room re-created in a point cloud. During the meeting I made a statement that wouldn't it be cool that you could scan a building and then someday be able to re-create it using a 3-D printer. Of course I got the that is crazy look from some people in the room but of course I ignored that.

 

As usual, being a BIM visionary, and intuitively knowing where the industry is going, I was really happy last night to see the following article Architect to build home with 3D printer. So, I can't wait until a certain someone reads this in the next few minutes and I get to see the look on their face when they see that this technology does actually exist and there are really incredible thing you can do with point cloud scanners.

 

4 comments:

Brian Benton January 23, 2013 at 9:11 AM  

I've been saying this for years and people look at my like I am an idiot. I can;t wait to share this article with everyone that has ever said "that will never happen."

Tony January 23, 2013 at 11:28 AM  

There are other companies working on this too. I saw this video months ago. I don't know if they have built a house with it yet. But if not, they are probably close to doing so:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yv-IWdSdns

Many years ago my college roomate (an Art major & techie-geek) commented that it would be cool to build an automotive tail light from an array of LEDs. I (the Mech. Engineering major) told him it would never work as they would never be bright enough.
...just a few years after that I was involved with a project designing LED taillights.
He now has an LED tail light on his custom bike that he designed & built himself.

So, I've learned to never say that something just cannot be done.

David Brown January 24, 2013 at 1:35 AM  

While 3D printing is being adopted in different industries, now we can "print" a building structure out like printing a prototype model. We may just buy a piece of land and print our dream house in no time. Thanks for the sharing.

Garden Services January 24, 2013 at 2:01 PM  

I think you are onto something there Brian, thats a great idea. It's just the startup costs that would kill ya lol.

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]