Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Monday, January 21, 2013

Is it the I or M in BIM that's important?

As you may have noticed, I haven't posted in a few days. I have any number of reasons for not posting in the past 9 days.

I could say I'm burnt out on blogging or maybe I could just say that there's nothing left to blog about. What else is there to say about BIM anyway? Today I found out that our firm is ranked as the 8th largest architecture firm in South Florida. We were at thirteen a year ago. Should I blog about anything that could give a competitive advantage to anyone lower on the list? Do I keep everything I've uncovered at the ACAI & BIM Builder Technology Labs a secret, give away those secrets or sell them to the highest bidder?

David and Alix were talking today about the "I" in BIM versus the "M" in BIM. Our firm has quadrupled billings over the last four years. Is it because of the "I" or the "M"? Well, we've definitely gotten more business because of the "M" in BIM. I think the "I" has cost us income. We keep having to add more and more information into our models.

Then there's the whole COBie thing. Talk about the "I" in BIM. The "I" in COBie is going to make or break a lot of firms and create a lot more visibility and accountability in the AEC industry. I will tell you that my BIM life peaked on January 10th, 2013 at 1:50 PM. That was the starting time of my presentation at the National Institute of Building Sciences buildingSmart alliance conference. I was asked to speak about an alternative method of inputing COBie data for subcontractors. I created the ultimate in live, collaborative, information sharing using a free online database that you may know as Google Apps. That has created an entirely new branch of our company to offer an easy, instantly implementable (if that's a word) way to use COBie for so many things and entities without the usual high cost and learning curve of off the shelf software.

I must say that being asked by Bill East, who devised COBie and authored the pilot standard in 2007, to share my ideas on Cobie data was the peak of my BIM career. This is 1,000 times better than speaking at AU and between preparing for the presentation and the afterglow played a part in my blogging hiatus.

So, now what? I don't know. I'll try to get back to a normal BIM blogging schedule, but I'm going to need to find something to inspire me anew in my BIM journey. I'm sure I'll find something inspiring, but for the moment, I'm going to try to figure out who wins the I vs M battle royale in our office conversations and debates.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• Join the buildingSMART alliance - National BIM Standards Provider
• Are you getting your CM-BIM credential? Click here for classes and information
• Click here to Subscribe to the blog via daily email updates for the BIM news you don't want to miss.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________


0 comments:

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]