Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Sunday, March 10, 2013

I felt like an AutoCAD 14 user today

So, there's this new website called BIMdates.com (more details in next post).  I was supposed to blog about it a month ago, but forgot to.  I got another email from Jason at and decided to blog about it a few days ago.  

But first, I decided to take a look under the hood of his site and thought that it'd be a great idea for the US as well.  Well, that led to me getting the domain name, BIMdates.US.  Then, seeing how Jason used Wordpress and a cool calendar plugin, I decided to try and mimic his site.  

This is where the fun begins.  First, I'll tell you that I've had a little web hosting business since 2000.  I've been working with the same company since 2005.  

Here's the fun timeline.  Let me know if it sounds familiar.  If you're bored, just skip to the last paragraph for the exciting ending to the story.

Start blogpost about BIMdates.com
Look at their site.
Purchase domain BIMdates.us
Create website zone on web hosting platform
Download Wordpress install zip file
Upload Wordpress into new website
Upload calendar plugin
Launch Wordpress
Get error message that MySQL 5.1 is required
Google Wordpress and MySQL
Find out that I need to install an earlier version of Wordpress
Download earlier version of Wordpress
Delete existing version on website
Upload new older version of Wordpress
Upload new older version of calendar app.
Start Wordpress setup.
Get Wordpress working
Fail to get calendar app working
Research MySQL version on web hosting software (Plesk)
Make a trouble ticket with web hosting tech support about how to upgrade MySQL
Get a response back from them that I need to be running a newer version of Plesk
Make a trouble ticket to find out how to upgrade to newest version
Get a response back that I can go to the 'Updates' section of Plesk admin panel
Find out that I'm using Plesk 8.3 and 10.2 is available
Try to upgrade to Plesk 10.2
Nothing happens
Try to upgrade to Plesk 10.1
Nothing happens
Try to upgrade to Plesk 9.5
Something happens
Successfully upgrade to Plesk 9.5

Try to upgrade to Plesk 10.2
Nothing happens
Try to upgrade to Plesk 10.1
Nothing happens
Try to upgrade to Plesk 10.9
Something happens
Finish upgrading to Plesk 10.0
Upgrade to Plesk 10.1
Try Upgrade to Plesk 10.2
Try Upgrade to Plesk 10.2
Try Upgrade to Plesk 10.2
Try Upgrade to Plesk 10.2
Finally get it to install
Try to log into to new Plesk hosting administration site.
Get error message on website

Try to log into to new Plesk hosting administration site.
Get error message on website
Try to log into to new Plesk hosting administration site.
Get error message on website
Try to log into to new Plesk hosting administration site.
Get error message on website
Google error message
Find out that others have had same problem.
Make a trouble ticket with web hosting tech support about how to fix admin issue.
Get the following reply
---
Hello,

I apologize for the delay in providing an update within this ticket. After numerous attempts I was unable to resolve this issue, and as your server is using CentOS 4.6 I am unable to escalate this to Parallels for their review as they do not support CentOS 4 any longer. In order to resolve this issue, we will have to provision you a new server with CentOS 6 and an updated control panel. We are currently phasing out Plesk, as well as the DDS400-L product line, as the legacy hardware is old and dated and Plesk has proven less reliable than the alternative cPanel. The new server wouldn't be able to have a Plesk panel, and would have cPanel instead. We could migrate your server to updated hardware on our Express Cloud, as well as provide you a fully patched and updated cPanel control panel. As you subscribe to our premium support, there would be no charge for the OS reinstall. We would also be able to grandfather you in at your current monthly rate with the brand new server, so there would be no increased cost to you.

Migration Benefits:
  • Latest CentOS fully patched operating system
  • Most up to date software including cPanel control panel
  • New server infrastructure that provides better reliability and scalability at no additional cost
  • If you would like to familiarize yourself with the new control panel before making a decision, please feel free to look at the below documentation link from our vendors website: http://cpanel.net/cpanel-whm/full-feature-list/

I will begin provisioning the new server as soon as you give word that you would like to proceed with this resolution. Once provisioned, we will be able to assist you through the migration, and swap your same IPs over once everything has been verified as migrated. Please let us know should you have any objections, questions, or concerns.

Thank you for being a RackForce customer.
----
Noooooo...I've been using Plesk since 2003.  I'm used to it.  I know where everything is.  I am comfortable with it.  I don't want to learn a new software program.  I was happy with what I had.  Why can't I keep my old obsolete and flaky web hosting software.  Why can't I keep the 8 year old slow hardware and minimal RAM.  I just want to keep what I have.  It worked fine.  It got the job done.  I don't any new fancy software or hardware.  I was happy.  I don't have time to learn something new.  I don't care if it's faster and better.  

Now you know why I feel like an AutoCAD R14 user.  

On another note.  Why didn't the web hosting company tell me I should have been doing more frequent OS upgrades.  Why didn't they tell me when the patches came out.  Why didn't they tell me my hosting hardware was old and slow.  Why didn't they let me know I had options to get something more up to date.  

I can't believe I'm being forced to upgrade to something new and different.  I can't believe I'm saying that.  It sounds so familiar too.  I just can't seem to recall where I've heard that before. 


 ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________  

• Join the buildingSMART alliance - National BIM Standards Provider
• Are you getting your CM-BIM credential? Click here for classes and information
• Click here to Subscribe to the blog via daily email updates for the BIM news you don't want to miss.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

0 comments:

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]