Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

A Sad BIM day - The journey continues


It with great sadness that I write this blog post.  Today is my last day at ACAI Associates and ACAI Technologies.  Unfortunately, I need to be much closer to home due to the health of my parents and spending between 90 and 120 minutes a day commuting, necessitated a move to a new adventure. 

It was a very emotional decision to make and I can't tell you enough how amazing the ACAI family is.  I've never worked with a more passionate, hard working, intelligent, motivated and caring group of people.  I've never seen an architecture firm care this much about their quality, deliverables and comittment to their clients.  Being the first architecture firm I've ever worked at, I had no idea what really goes on day to day.  If there's one thing I've learned, is that it's exhausting.  Between the deadlines, decisions and dollars (3D), all of the details that go into the details, keeping the disciplines disciplined (you must be disciplined in your discipline or you will be disciplined), I don't know how you guys do this day in and day out.  

My time at ACAI was very special to me and I'm forever grateful to Adolfo Cotilla (yes, Adolfo, I am mentioning your name in a blog post) and Cindy Baldwin (who I hope is reading this on her iPad and retweeting it (@CindyWBaldin) to the whole world of BuildingSmart alliance followers.  The leaders of the company are brilliant, dynamic and amazing in what they've created, not just for the growth of the company in the past few years, but also for their wisdom in picking the best and smartest people to be a part of the ACAI team.  It's been an honor working with the two of you and I look forward to many years of continuing to work with you in my new role as a consultant to the firm.  

Adolfo, thank you for taking the leap of faith with BIM and allowing the company to expand into so many different ways.  I can't imagine what it's like for a principal to take the risk of new technologies and methodologies, but you embraced it and I'm sad that I can't be there on a daily basis to help even more.  Cindy, for someone who doesn't drink coffee, I don't know how you have even more energy that I do.  Thank you for the opportunity to spend the last 18 months having a BIM technology laboratory and for the chance to further my passion for BIM.  I'm so proud of your accomplishments in growing the ACAI family and watching what you've done with the buildingSmart alliance, thankful to have been up on stage with you for some of your amazing BIM presentations and lectures and honored to work with someone who's spent so much time researching BIM and it's technologies (and for reading my blog these past few years and taking some of my ideas and posts and turning them into something wonderful).  

To my special BIM friends Alix, Nic, Justin, Julio, Cesar, Flo, Oscar, David, Raul, Bryan, Peck and Brian, I will miss our daily BIM bantering and I've never seen such hard working and talented people.  You are all so skilled and wonderful, it saddens me to not be there to see the craziness, loudness and hectic work that you do.  Well, maybe I won't miss that so much as it stresses me out to see how you guys manage to get everything done that you do.  You all do such amazing work and are truly a fantastic team of people.  Your willingness to take on new challenges, find ways to solve problems and watching you collaborate and share your knowledge with each other, made me proud to be a part of your team and help in my own special way.  

I never in my life thought I'd end up working at an architecture firm, but I have learned so much from the experience that I know that I never want to do that ever again.  My apologies for previous blog posts where I said anything unkind about your industry.  I still hate AutoCAD and anyone who uses it on a daily basis for their clients.  I have a new found respect for anyone and any firm who takes on the challenge of moving to BIM and the pain and gain from making that transition.  It's a monumental commitment and even though Revit looks so easy, it's such a pain in the ass to learn how to truly harness it's capabilities.  I don't know how you do it and manage to meet your daily deadlines.  

Alix and David, I'll miss you both the most and I know you'll both continue to do great things for the company.  Maybe without me there as a distraction, you'll get even more done.  Alix, I'm only a join.me click away from any questions or problems you run into.  David, I'm putting a filter on the firewall so you don't have to listen to that horrible dribble on your radio streaming and I'm truly honored to have seen what you've done over the past 6 years with BIM and I'm in awe of your BIM greatness and technology talents.  There are only two people in the world that I can ever have geeky Excel formula conversations with, so I'm extra thankful that we've been able to talk about stuff that makes everyone else's eyes glaze over.  Alix, I can hardly wait for you to drop your Surface and have a trio of devices with cracked glass.  Please send me a picture of it when it's been crackingly customized.

To everyone else reading this, I'm still going to continue with the blog as I'm going to be working for a national subcontractor and I'll be telling you more about my role there and it will be interesting to see BIM in action at the subcontractor level.  As one chapter ends, a new one begins.  Although I'm excited to be working much closer to home, I will never forget my time at ACAI and will truly miss being there every day.  I've never been sad to leave a job or a company before, but there is truly something magical there and maybe it's just because BIM is all about the people and what an amazing group of people I've had the honor of sharing my life with.  

Thank you.
Gregory
The workflow and process disrupter!

 ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________  

• Join the buildingSMART alliance - National BIM Standards Provider
• Are you getting your CM-BIM credential? Click here for classes and information
• Click here to Subscribe to the blog via daily email updates for the BIM news you don't want to miss.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1 comments:

Erik May 8, 2013 at 1:25 PM  

Sorry to hear you leaving ACAI, but it seems like a good move for you. Wish you all the best buddy. See you at the next conference (hopefully.)

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]