Quick Links - Also see the menu above and more choices on the right side of the blog (too much, but all good stuff)

\/ ...and now BIMbuilder.com Blog Posts... \/

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Figured out how to actually view point cloud data files on my iPad #BIM #Autodesk #iPad

Ok Alix, you really pissed me off when you said my last attempt was only an image and not really a point cloud on my iPad.  So, I did what anyone without a workflow and process would do. I figured out a way to piss you off and create a new dimension to BIM.

If you're using Autodesk 2013 software, you can bring your point clouds into Navisworks. Then, if you're lucky enough to have it, export your Navisworks model to BIM Glue.  Then you can see your point cloud project on the iPad.  I haven't tried this with Navisworks 2014 since Autodesk hasn't released their BIM Glue plugin yet (and there's no reason for the delay)!

It does take a bit of time to upload and parse, and it's not the fastest of ways to view your point cloud, especially compared to the awesome Recap program, but I did manage to open the model and walk through the project as seen in the video below.  It really is awesome.  File size is an issue and I don't know how many scan files you can load at once into Glue. 

It's not the most elegant solution, but I wanted a way to see a point cloud on the iPad and now Alix owes me an apology!  PS. Kris, call me and I'll walk you through it (and you owe me a beer).  Cindy, thank you for letting me have the BIM laboratory to invent creations like this.

If you don't have a Glue account, you can save the point cloud files as NWDs and email them to your iPad and then you can view them on Glue. 

http://youtu.be/wI7Em4A3t1A



 ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________  

• Join the buildingSMART alliance - National BIM Standards Provider
• Are you getting your CM-BIM credential? Click here for classes and information
• Click here to Subscribe to the blog via daily email updates for the BIM news you don't want to miss.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

0 comments:

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

[Valid Atom 1.0]